General Category > Beer Recipes

Hopping levels to balance a big milk stout

<< < (2/4) > >>

gmac:
I'll shoot for 40 IBU's (maybe 40 grams of Magnum or so).
Thanks all.

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: gmac on December 05, 2012, 07:22:48 PM ---I'll shoot for 40 IBU's (maybe 40 grams of Magnum or so).
Thanks all.

--- End quote ---

What's a gram?  ;)

tschmidlin:
If you want residual sweetness, why are you adding sucrose which will just dry it out?  Lactose isn't all that sweet.

I think 40 IBUs is a good target.

gmac:

--- Quote from: tschmidlin on December 05, 2012, 11:16:12 PM ---If you want residual sweetness, why are you adding sucrose which will just dry it out?  Lactose isn't all that sweet.

I think 40 IBUs is a good target.

--- End quote ---

I'm going for that "creme brulee" sort of thing.  That's why I'm going to caramelize the sugar first in hopes of getting some burnt sugar type flavours.  May not work but I figured I'd give it a try.  I know the sugar will dry it out but I figured with a lb of lactose and a lb of C120 I would still get some sweetness. 
Plus, I did want to get the alcohol up a bit.  Maybe I should go with 1/2 a lb of caramelized sucrose for the flavour aspect and see if I get what I'm after without drying it out too much.  But, the goal is toasted marshmallow more than anything else (note the vanilla bean in there too).

erockrph:

--- Quote from: gmac on December 06, 2012, 07:03:55 AM ---
I'm going for that "creme brulee" sort of thing.  That's why I'm going to caramelize the sugar first in hopes of getting some burnt sugar type flavours.  May not work but I figured I'd give it a try.  I know the sugar will dry it out but I figured with a lb of lactose and a lb of C120 I would still get some sweetness. 
Plus, I did want to get the alcohol up a bit.  Maybe I should go with 1/2 a lb of caramelized sucrose for the flavour aspect and see if I get what I'm after without drying it out too much.  But, the goal is toasted marshmallow more than anything else (note the vanilla bean in there too).

--- End quote ---

Maybe one of the lighter Candi Syrups may get you what you're looking for?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version