Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Meetup with Euge  (Read 4682 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Meetup with Euge
« on: September 21, 2012, 10:03:41 pm »
My daughter,her boyfriendish type person, and I got to have a few beers with Euge last night at the Freetail Brewery in San Antonio.  Had a great time, wish we could have hung out longer but life is what it is..
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: Meetup with Euge
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 10:52:40 pm »
Sweet! Always fun to meet guys off the board. I've gotten to meet three. Pics?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 07:17:06 am »
My daughter,her boyfriendish type person
I'm envisioning that your daughter has been married for 10 years to this guy, but you still call him this. Many Dad's would.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 07:41:13 am »
It was fantastic to meet Corky and the younger folks. All beer lovers! The skeeters were out in force but it was beautiful evening sitting out there at Freetail Brewery (pub?).

Corky got the server to show us the actual brewery which had four 7 bbl tanks and maybe some more tucked away somewhere. Regardless, the four fermenters, mashtun, kettle and bottling line were tucked away in a space that wouldn't have filled half my garage! I noticed the mashtun and kettle were from "The Pub Brewing co." Amazing and it gives food for thought...

And the beer is decently made. I enjoyed a 3.5% Rye Wit as my first beer.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 12:10:06 pm »
A search for san antonio led to this post.  I will be in SA within the next couple weeks, about to attend school again at UTSA.  Perhaps another meetup is in order!  Also, anyone with a connection to a homebrew club (preferably on the NW side) do tell :D

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 12:23:22 pm »
I believe Homebrew Party opened up a location on the NW side. If it is anything like their store off of Judson you will be amazed. Very well run and stocked. Clean and friendly.

Shoot me a line when you get the time.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 12:54:31 pm »
My daughter,her boyfriendish type person
I'm envisioning that your daughter has been married for 10 years to this guy, but you still call him this. Many Dad's would.
It's even weirder than that.  After high school they moved to Albuquerque and lived together for 4 or 5 years, then split up.  He moved to San Antonio to live with his mother and stepfather, and  my daughter then rented his mother's house in Carlsbad.  After a couple of years apart I had a specialized job opening perfect for him so at my daughter's suggestion I hired him.  Now they both live in his mother's house(allegedly in separate rooms), work in the same office and we have no idea if they are romantically involved or not. Since they are both my employees I am not allowed to pry into their private lives.   But he's a homebrewer, she's been an avid beer lover for years so we all get along great.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 12:57:57 pm »
I believe Homebrew Party opened up a location on the NW side. If it is anything like their store off of Judson you will be amazed. Very well run and stocked. Clean and friendly.

When I was in SA Ben took me to a Homebrew Party that would probably be in the NW section and it was very well stock, plus the owner know his stuff and has sample beers in the fridge.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 04:50:49 am »

Will do!  I hope to be in the city by next week...

Can't wait to see the homebrew party store!  It's only about three miles away, which is great!  I can pick up fresh yeast or ingredients without paying shipping!

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 10:27:35 am »
Well I arrived in town and went to homebrew party, great place!  I went a little nuts when I got to town, bought a turkey fryer type setup for brewing, a chest freezer, and picked up a johnson controller from homebrew party.  They had it in stock!  They have a pretty good selection of grains and hops, unfortunately no citra or simcoe though.  8)  I will definitely be picking up my stuff from them from now on, as it's very close to my house, with decent hours. 

cheers!

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 02:57:28 pm »
One more note... Just brewed my first batch with the new setup.  The turkey fryer actually came with a 7.5 gallon pot, which was perfect for what I needed, saving me the effort of buying a new pot for the moment.  I "seasoned" it by boiling some water in it before I made my first batch of San Antonio beer (my 4th AG batch, FWIW).  Because of the new pot, I will go back to five gallon batches on my next batch.  I can easily boil up to about 6 gallons without fear of boil-over, as long as I pay attention. 

The freezer with controller was working quite perfectly, 66F pretty steady.  But... I broke the damn thermometer near the end of my brew!  It was just the steel shot that broke, and didn't contaminate my beer or anything, but alas I am currently not checking my temps anymore!  I should have a new unbreakable thermometer by thurs or fri.  Currently the beer is in the freezer but doesn't have a monitoring thermometer.  It will be fine. :D

Water: I still smell funky chemical aromas in both the water at my brother's house and my mother's house, so I used bottled spring water.  Five bucks worth of water is worth it to avoid pouring out four gallons of beer!

Hops: used fuggles leaf in paint strainer bags, worked great.  Made sure to dispose of the hops out of reach of animals.

cheers!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 09:05:58 pm »
I should have a new unbreakable thermometer by thurs or fri.
I don't believe such a thing exists.  Where did you get it?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 09:59:40 pm »
I should have a new unbreakable thermometer by thurs or fri.
I don't believe such a thing exists.  Where did you get it?

Better get two.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 05:27:00 am »
Perhaps he means something like a Thermapen which would be so much more difficult to break- though not impossible...

I think one would have to really screw the pooch to do it.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 07:11:38 pm »
Yes, a reasonably not likely to be broken-able thermometer.  Not like the easily broken glass one I already had, that is now broke.  ::)

Probably a thermapen.  8)