Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ideal temp for WLP051  (Read 5847 times)

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Ideal temp for WLP051
« on: December 05, 2012, 07:18:40 am »
The local shop was out of WLP001 so I grabbed 051 instead. A few Google searches later and it looks like this strain doesn't work well below 66F (one forum post claimed it stalls below that).

Does anyone here have first hand experience with this yeast?  Does pitching at 66F with a slow rise sound okay?

*Sent from the future using Tapatalk Quantum Edition*

Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
Re: Ideal temp for WLP051
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 07:27:21 am »
Assuming you have a healthy, appropriate-sized pitch, it works fine below 66F. I typically pitch this strain at 63-64F, hold it there for the first 24-48 hours, then slowly raise to the upper 60s. Any yeast strain is susceptible to dropping out if the temperature falls, so maybe that's how others don't have success with it?
Mark Gres

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 07:37:16 am »
Ok thanks. I'll do that. The starter smelled quite sulfury this morning when I put it in the fridge to settle, so I got to worrying about fermenting warmer than I usually do.

*Sent from the future using Tapatalk Quantum Edition*

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 10:48:47 am »
Assuming you have a healthy, appropriate-sized pitch, it works fine below 66F. I typically pitch this strain at 63-64F, hold it there for the first 24-48 hours, then slowly raise to the upper 60s. Any yeast strain is susceptible to dropping out if the temperature falls, so maybe that's how others don't have success with it?

+1

Depending on your ambient temp and recipe I usually let the beer rise up naturally after pitching.
Ron Price

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 10:59:00 am »
I haven't gone below the mid-60's with this strain, but I haven't had any problems. One issue I had was that it didn't seem to flocculate out as well as I'm used to with US-05/WLP001. I've had some beers taste pretty muddy/yeasty at first and ended up needing more time to settle out in the bottle.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 08:56:02 am »
This is chunky...

Day after pitching:

3 days after:

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 07:54:12 pm »
Craaap. My first stalled fermentation.   :'( Even after bringing it up to 71 and swirling it's stuck at 1.025 (should be around 1.014). I dumped a packet of US-05 in there, hopefully I'll see some more activity in the morning.

I'm 99% sure it is NOT a wort issue: I mashed at 147F.

Could be my starter size was too small. The yeast was only 50% viable. I ended up with a smaller volume of starter wort than I should have (mis-measured). And I forgot to add any yeast nutrient to the starter wort.

Or it could be aeration. This was a 1.076 wort. The tube from the fish tank pump was loose so I wasn't getting full volume of air. (I just got an O2 kit so by-by to the fish tank pump!)

Anyway, no worries. I'll drink it as-is if I have to...overly sweet, 6% alcohol hop bomb that it is currently!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 08:00:23 pm by ccfoo242 »