Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: step mashing or single infusion  (Read 10760 times)

Offline hospter81

• Cellarman
step mashing or single infusion
« on: December 07, 2012, 07:49:47 am »
Hello, after reading for a while i'm still confused. If i want to mash a belgian style beer (tripel) with 2 row pilsner, what do you recommend me? step mashing as Gordon Strong said or single infusion because of a 2 row malt.

thanks!

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
Re: step mashing or single infusion
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 07:59:00 am »
The latest Beersmith podcast is on Saison. Nathan Smith covers doing a 100% pils beer. Its a good listen:

http://beersmith.com/blog/2012/11/27/brewing-saison-beer-with-nathan-smith-beersmith-podcast-50/
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline bwana

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 08:05:17 am »
Hello, after reading for a while i'm still confused. If i want to mash a belgian style beer (tripel) with 2 row pilsner, what do you recommend me? step mashing as Gordon Strong said or single infusion because of a 2 row malt.

thanks!
It is up to you. I am lazy so I do very little step mashes.  Gordon Strong is always worth listening to!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 08:42:10 am »
I would do a single infusion. mash pretty low (~150-153 tops) for 90 minutes and it'll be fine. Pilsner malt, unless you specifically are using an undermodified product, is plenty modified and does not really need any non-sach rests. And I find that an higher temp alpha rest when you are after high fermentability doesn't really help.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 08:44:46 am »
It really depends upon what you are looking for in a final product.  Single infusion mashes work great for about any beer style.  Malts only make a difference if they are under-modified.  With today's malts, you really do not need to worry about step mashing to achieve good results. 

I'm making my Chimay clone today.  I want to maximize both the fermentability and body so I'm performing a Hochkurz mash at 146F and 158F, each for 45 minutes.  However, I'm only brewing 5g.  I normally brew 10g batches and use a single infusion. 

So, go with what you think.  Either way is fine.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 09:20:15 am »
For an all pils malt tripel or pilsner, I almost always do a 90 min, mash at 148.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 09:38:05 am »
You could always try both. Do a single infusion one tisme and a step mash the next. The big deal is to see if you can tell a difference between the beers. If not - I say single infusion all the way!
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 09:50:28 am »
For an all pils malt tripel or pilsner, I almost always do a 90 min, mash at 148.

Denny - do you think the Pils needs longer to convert?  Just curious, as last brew session my Belgian blonde came out lower than I expected (again) with a 60 minute mash.

My stout was spot on, but was MO and not Pils.  Same mash schedule.

I did not do an iodine test, though I know I should.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 09:54:44 am »

Denny - do you think the Pils needs longer to convert?  Just curious, as last brew session my Belgian blonde came out lower than I expected (again) with a 60 minute mash.

I think it is more to do with the temp than the malt, although lower diastatic power malts will also take longer. The enzymes act more quickly at higher temps so if you mash lower you need to mash longer to get full conversion.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hospter81

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 10:47:16 am »
thanks guys! i used step mash on my last batch...i will try single infusion next monday and  i'll see what happen

thanks again!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 01:24:48 pm »

Nope.  I do a longer mash for the added fermentability.  I never do an iodine test. 

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 01:51:20 pm »

Nope.  I do a longer mash for the added fermentability.  I never do an iodine test.

I suppose just I need to brew more Pils based beers until I get this pinned down...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 02:50:31 pm »

den - for a pils, what kind of attentuation are you looking for and getting?  I generally drop from 1.048-1.050 to 1.009-1.010, but only do a 60 min mash at 150 - just curious, as I feel its already pretty dry but maybe i should try to get it drier?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 04:10:27 pm »

den - for a pils, what kind of attentuation are you looking for and getting?  I generally drop from 1.048-1.050 to 1.009-1.010, but only do a 60 min mash at 150 - just curious, as I feel its already pretty dry but maybe i should try to get it drier?

Boy, Paul, I'd say it's up to your tastes.  Without looking at my notes I can't tell you what I'm getting, but I do like a dry pils.  Extending the mash to 90 min. doesn't make a huge difference, but I want to give myself every advantage I can.  And this is German pils, not Bopils.

www.dennybrew.com