General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

White Labs Alcohol Test Kit

<< < (2/5) > >>

a10t2:
Oh, and White Labs' normal QC program is $139 for the full panel of tests on two beers. I don't know if there's a point at which that becomes less expensive than the piecemeal tests.

svejk:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on December 06, 2012, 12:20:09 PM ---Freeze distillation as in making eisbier? That's legal.

--- End quote ---

This is true - a while back, James Spencer from Basic Brewing Radio spoke directly with the TTB about this and was told that since freezing is not a form of distillation and as long as there isn't an intent to sell, it isn't illegal.

mtnrockhopper:

--- Quote from: svejk on December 06, 2012, 12:25:25 PM ---
--- Quote from: a10t2 on December 06, 2012, 12:20:09 PM ---Freeze distillation as in making eisbier? That's legal.

--- End quote ---

This is true - a while back, James Spencer from Basic Brewing Radio spoke directly with the TTB about this and was told that since freezing is not a form of distillation and as long as there isn't an intent to sell, it isn't illegal.

--- End quote ---
What ... nobody asked ATF? Almost zero chance of getting caught anyway since there is no specialized equipment. I thought the law said any means of separation.

mtnrockhopper:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on December 06, 2012, 12:20:09 PM ---I brewed a beer a few years ago that would be about 23% ABV based on SG readings. If the remaining bottles weren't so precious at this point I could see myself spending $36 to see where it actually ended up.

When I go for 30% next year I'll probably order the test.

--- End quote ---
Let us know who that works out! The SG of ethanol is about 0.80, so it will cause an overestimate. But by my calculation, even at 25% it would only through off the reading by <1%ABV.

a10t2:

--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on December 06, 2012, 01:52:26 PM ---What ... nobody asked ATF?
--- End quote ---

It'd be interesting to hear what they had to say. There's a definite possibility they'd tell you to talk to the regulatory agency (TTB). Sort of like calling the police to ask if it's legal for you to build a shed in your yard.

--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on December 06, 2012, 01:59:50 PM ---Let us know who that works out! The SG of ethanol is about 0.80, so it will cause an overestimate. But by my calculation, even at 25% it would only through off the reading by <1%ABV.
--- End quote ---

I definitely will. It should be quite the project.

I'd assume that all the ABV estimates out there already take into account the ethanol's impact on SG. For example, a beer fermented from 1.050 to 1.010 would be 5.0-5.2% ABV depending on what equation you use. If you assume that the entire drop in gravity is due to sugars fermented you'd get about 6.7% ABV.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version