Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: White Labs Alcohol Test Kit  (Read 6810 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: White Labs Alcohol Test Kit
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 08:29:28 pm »
FYI - for $40 you can get a much more detailed analysis through Alpha Analytics:

The Standard Package
This package includes alcohol by volume, real and apparent extract, density, pH, bitterness units, color, and all calculated values*.

(Calculated values include calories, real and apparent degrees of fermentation and original extract.)

Single tests range in price from $8 - $25

I've never tried them out, but I was tempted to get my IIPA tested for IBU's ($20 for that test). The ABV test is $25 through them, too.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 08:53:32 pm »
That's better. Probably would be useful if your thinking of going pro, just to check yourself.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 09:29:08 am »
Freeze distillation as in making eisbier? That's legal.

This is true - a while back, James Spencer from Basic Brewing Radio spoke directly with the TTB about this and was told that since freezing is not a form of distillation and as long as there isn't an intent to sell, it isn't illegal.
What ... nobody asked ATF? Almost zero chance of getting caught anyway since there is no specialized equipment. I thought the law said any means of separation.

Nope.  Freeze concentration is not the same as distilling.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 09:29:58 am »
Analysis Lab used to perform free testing for homebrewers.  Don't know if they still do.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 09:52:10 am »
Freeze distillation as in making eisbier? That's legal.

This is true - a while back, James Spencer from Basic Brewing Radio spoke directly with the TTB about this and was told that since freezing is not a form of distillation and as long as there isn't an intent to sell, it isn't illegal.
What ... nobody asked ATF? Almost zero chance of getting caught anyway since there is no specialized equipment. I thought the law said any means of separation.

Nope.  Freeze concentration is not the same as distilling.
There must be some bad information out there on the internet --  :o  SHOCKING!!!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 12:08:17 pm »
Is there any good info out there detailing the process for an eisbock?  Jamil's method if shaking and listening concerns me a bit.  I want to do an eisbock this winter for next Christmas (if I can hold out that long)....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 08:41:14 pm »
Is there any good info out there detailing the process for an eisbock?  Jamil's method if shaking and listening concerns me a bit.  I want to do an eisbock this winter for next Christmas (if I can hold out that long)....

Good question.  I'll be brewing up the bock base beer for an eisbock attempt sometime in the next week or so.  Not so much worried about the base beer but I'm guessing there's a fair chance I'll either jump the gun or wait too long on the icing process.
Clint
Wort Hogs