General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Quick Hop Aroma and Flavor Loss

<< < (3/3)

mabrungard:
I get a loss over time, but I don't think its to the degree mentioned here. 

I take it that the beer is nice initially, but fades?  Do you brew with really low alkalinity water like rainwater or RO water?  Colin Kaminski reports that hop expression is muted if the beer pH is too low. 

Joe Sr.:

--- Quote from: majorvices on December 08, 2012, 07:51:33 PM ---
--- Quote from: rjharper on December 07, 2012, 10:15:24 AM ---If you're over pressurizing the keg to quick carb, then venting it before you serve, you're probably purging out a ton of hop aroma. Better to rack to the keg, toss in the dry hops, set it to serving pressure and wait a week.

--- End quote ---

Another good suggestion.

--- End quote ---

Even if you're not venting, I've noticed that when my beers are over-carbed/over foamy I will get a strong hop flavor/aroma in the head that is not there in the beer.  Like all the hops got blasted out.

elephantrider:

--- Quote from: mabrungard on December 10, 2012, 03:06:32 PM ---I get a loss over time, but I don't think its to the degree mentioned here. 

I take it that the beer is nice initially, but fades?  Do you brew with really low alkalinity water like rainwater or RO water?  Colin Kaminski reports that hop expression is muted if the beer pH is too low.

--- End quote ---

Yes, starts out really nice and after a week or so, a dramatic drop off. I honestly know nothing about my water. I plan on sending out a sample to Wards in the very near future so I can start playing with my water in the spring.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version