General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Quick Hop Aroma and Flavor Loss

<< < (2/3) > >>

majorvices:

--- Quote from: blatz on December 07, 2012, 08:10:39 AM ---are you dryhopping at the cold crash temps or at ferm temps? 

7PSI for serving (assuming high 30's serving temp) is a bit low in carbonation IMO for American IPA.  You do need some signficant carb to push out those hop aromas in your glass. i try to carb and serve at 11-13PSI at 38 degrees.

what are the actual hop stand, 15min and dryhop amounts?  Some people's idea of 'big' is pretty weak from what i've seen.

--- End quote ---

Interesting. I find lower end carbonation lends better aroma for me. High Co2 lends to a weird harshness in aroma and flavor.

I also agree with the 02 comments. Seems like even low levels of oxidation has a detrimental affect on hop flavor and aroma..

majorvices:

--- Quote from: rjharper on December 07, 2012, 10:15:24 AM ---If you're over pressurizing the keg to quick carb, then venting it before you serve, you're probably purging out a ton of hop aroma. Better to rack to the keg, toss in the dry hops, set it to serving pressure and wait a week.

--- End quote ---

Another good suggestion.

elephantrider:
Just wanna say thanks for the responses guys.

blatz:

--- Quote from: majorvices on December 08, 2012, 05:00:09 PM ---
Interesting. I find lower end carbonation lends better aroma for me. High Co2 lends to a weird harshness in aroma and flavor.

--- End quote ---

I agree with you - high carbonation does lend a metallicy 'weird' aroma and bite in the flavor, but to get that its usually 15+PSI at 38 - 11-13 seems just the right balance for my tastes.

mtnrockhopper:

--- Quote from: blatz on December 10, 2012, 07:12:29 AM ---
--- Quote from: majorvices on December 08, 2012, 05:00:09 PM ---

--- End quote ---

I agree with you - high carbonation does lend a metallicy 'weird' aroma and bite in the flavor, but to get that its usually 15+PSI at 38 - 11-13 seems just the right balance for my tastes.

--- End quote ---
CO2 dissolves as carbonic acid, so it would make sense that more carbonation = more carbonic acid = more acidic flavor, right? Acidity could affect the aroma too I imagine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version