General Category > All Grain Brewing

step mashing or single infusion

(1/3) > >>

hospter81:
Hello, after reading for a while i'm still confused. If i want to mash a belgian style beer (tripel) with 2 row pilsner, what do you recommend me? step mashing as Gordon Strong said or single infusion because of a 2 row malt.

thanks!

DrewG:
The latest Beersmith podcast is on Saison. Nathan Smith covers doing a 100% pils beer. Its a good listen:

http://beersmith.com/blog/2012/11/27/brewing-saison-beer-with-nathan-smith-beersmith-podcast-50/

bwana:

--- Quote from: pachuquin17 on December 07, 2012, 07:49:47 AM ---Hello, after reading for a while i'm still confused. If i want to mash a belgian style beer (tripel) with 2 row pilsner, what do you recommend me? step mashing as Gordon Strong said or single infusion because of a 2 row malt.

thanks!

--- End quote ---
It is up to you. I am lazy so I do very little step mashes.  Gordon Strong is always worth listening to!

morticaixavier:
I would do a single infusion. mash pretty low (~150-153 tops) for 90 minutes and it'll be fine. Pilsner malt, unless you specifically are using an undermodified product, is plenty modified and does not really need any non-sach rests. And I find that an higher temp alpha rest when you are after high fermentability doesn't really help.

davidgzach:
It really depends upon what you are looking for in a final product.  Single infusion mashes work great for about any beer style.  Malts only make a difference if they are under-modified.  With today's malts, you really do not need to worry about step mashing to achieve good results. 

I'm making my Chimay clone today.  I want to maximize both the fermentability and body so I'm performing a Hochkurz mash at 146F and 158F, each for 45 minutes.  However, I'm only brewing 5g.  I normally brew 10g batches and use a single infusion. 

So, go with what you think.  Either way is fine.

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version