General Category > All Grain Brewing

step mashing or single infusion

<< < (2/3) > >>

denny:
For an all pils malt tripel or pilsner, I almost always do a 90 min, mash at 148.

mmitchem:
You could always try both. Do a single infusion one tisme and a step mash the next. The big deal is to see if you can tell a difference between the beers. If not - I say single infusion all the way!

Joe Sr.:

--- Quote from: denny on December 07, 2012, 09:20:15 AM ---For an all pils malt tripel or pilsner, I almost always do a 90 min, mash at 148.

--- End quote ---

Denny - do you think the Pils needs longer to convert?  Just curious, as last brew session my Belgian blonde came out lower than I expected (again) with a 60 minute mash.

My stout was spot on, but was MO and not Pils.  Same mash schedule.

I did not do an iodine test, though I know I should.

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: Joe Sr. on December 07, 2012, 09:50:28 AM ---
--- Quote from: denny on December 07, 2012, 09:20:15 AM ---For an all pils malt tripel or pilsner, I almost always do a 90 min, mash at 148.

--- End quote ---

Denny - do you think the Pils needs longer to convert?  Just curious, as last brew session my Belgian blonde came out lower than I expected (again) with a 60 minute mash.

My stout was spot on, but was MO and not Pils.  Same mash schedule.

I did not do an iodine test, though I know I should.

--- End quote ---

I think it is more to do with the temp than the malt, although lower diastatic power malts will also take longer. The enzymes act more quickly at higher temps so if you mash lower you need to mash longer to get full conversion.

hospter81:
thanks guys! i used step mash on my last batch...i will try single infusion next monday and  i'll see what happen

thanks again!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version