General Category > Ingredients

Cinnamon

<< < (3/3)

jjflash:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on December 09, 2012, 03:04:25 PM ---On the astringency front I can speak to that. I just kegged a stout with a tincture of ceylon cinnamon 3 sticks in a small bottle of vodka for about a month. I am noticing a distinct woody astringency. similar to that found in oak aged beers. It's okay and once the beer warms up a bit it fades into the background but be aware.

--- End quote ---

Cinnamon is bark from a tree so woody astringency from a one month soak does not surprise me. (Bet it went into the Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Stout.) I limit my cinnamon soak between 1-2 weeks.  The common cinnamon, Cassia is much worse. It smells sweeter but is much more astringent.  Stick with the Ceylon, it is the best.

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: jjflash on December 09, 2012, 07:21:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: morticaixavier on December 09, 2012, 03:04:25 PM ---On the astringency front I can speak to that. I just kegged a stout with a tincture of ceylon cinnamon 3 sticks in a small bottle of vodka for about a month. I am noticing a distinct woody astringency. similar to that found in oak aged beers. It's okay and once the beer warms up a bit it fades into the background but be aware.

--- End quote ---

Cinnamon is bark from a tree so woody astringency from a one month soak does not surprise me. (Bet it went into the Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Stout.) I limit my cinnamon soak between 1-2 weeks.  The common cinnamon, Cassia is much worse. It smells sweeter but is much more astringent.  Stick with the Ceylon, it is the best.

--- End quote ---

Yup it was the stout. it still tastes good but there is a note of woodiness. I was thinking about adding a little cassia to bump the flavour a bit as the ceylon is quite subtle but I think I am going to leave it be at least for now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version