Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP style standards.  (Read 1781 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
BJCP style standards.
« on: December 09, 2012, 03:07:32 pm »
I didn't want to get into a discussion of standards in amh0001's thread about his competition results so I started this thread.
Where and how does the BJCP come up with their style requirements?  My specific question is about French cider.  I have inlaws(and inlaws of inlaws) in France who produce cider, and cider is a very popular beverage over there, but I have never tasted a cider in France that would conform to the BJCP's description.  I've ad cider from all across France, young ones, aged ones, from Normandy, Brittany, the Loire and i don't ever remember a cider that wasn't bone dry.  when we have European friends over what they want first is a glass of my cider, it reminds them of their ciders back home.  So who in the BJCP decided that french cider should be sweet?
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: BJCP style standards.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 05:05:21 pm »
The BJCP creates the guidelines themselves. I don't know the process, but one thing to realize is that the guidelines are meant for homebrewing competitions and highlight styles popular with homebrewers, specifically American ones. There are significant differences between BJCP and style guidelines from other organizations including the Brewers Association. All I'm saying is - I've heard people drive themselves crazy because X style isn't what they had in Y country or isn't in the guidelines at all.

But, every French cider I've had (imported, not consumed in France) have residual sugar but with enough acidity to give it a very dry impression. The French cider style describes ciders that have gone through keeving and perhaps cidermakers in France don't do that much anymore.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 05:15:19 pm by mtnrockhopper »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: BJCP style standards.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 06:41:40 pm »
From people like you.

Write up a sample of what changes you would like including your reasoning and E-mail the bjcp.
Brew on

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
BJCP style standards.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 06:52:47 pm »
From people like you.

Write up a sample of what changes you would like including your reasoning and E-mail the bjcp.

+1

Communicate your experience with the BJCP and maybe the standard can be modified to include your perception of the style.
Ron Price