Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Eisbock / Dopplebock  (Read 3069 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Eisbock / Dopplebock
« on: December 20, 2012, 05:00:24 am »
I'm brewing an 11g batch of dopplebock on Saturday.  My plan is to keep half as a dopplebock and to eis the other half and I'm undecided on the recipe formulation.  After reading through the bock write-ups in BCS and listening to the CYBI episodes for both it seems like the recipe should be a little different. 

Since the eisbock is going to be concentrated Jamil recommends having more pilsner malt in the eisbock base beer with less munich a lower amount of caramunich while the straight dopplebock is mostly munich and double the amount of caramunich.

I'd like to just do one mash and boil and split the batch for fermentation.  The recipe I've tentatively come up with tries to split the difference between the two styles but I'm afraid I'll just end up making two okay beers.  Here's what I have so far.

For 11 gallons:

18 lbs pilsner malt
16 lbs munich
3 lbs caramunich

Any advice or suggestions?  Should I just brew to the eisbock base style and accept that the dopple might not be quite as malty and rich as its supposed to be?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Eisbock / Dopplebock
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 05:20:50 am »
IShould I just brew to the eisbock base style and accept that the dopple might not be quite as malty and rich as its supposed to be?

If the Eisbock is what you really want, then this.  Or brew the Dopplebock and take what you get with the Eis.  Or, make it a two brew day.  I don't think you can pull both off in one. 
Dave Zach

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 07:52:41 am »
IShould I just brew to the eisbock base style and accept that the dopple might not be quite as malty and rich as its supposed to be?

If the Eisbock is what you really want, then this.  Or brew the Dopplebock and take what you get with the Eis.  Or, make it a two brew day.  I don't think you can pull both off in one.

Of course you can do both.

Formulating the recipe, I'd lean towards the Eisbock because it takes more time and effort. That doesn't mean that a split batch won't produce an enjoyable Doppelbock.

It might not get you a gold at NHC, but it will be nice to have on tap and, after all, you'll be entering that Eisbock anyway!

Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 09:16:35 am »
you could consider a pseudo-partigyle.

Mash in with your normal bock recipe with mostly munich and some caramunich, run off and then cap the mash with a few lb of pilsner, add water and do a 20 minute mash or so. this should get you in the gravity range but without the intense body of the first runnings.

so first runnings = traditional bock, second runnings + 3-4 lb of pilsner = eisbock.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 01:24:30 pm »

Of course you can do both.

Formulating the recipe, I'd lean towards the Eisbock because it takes more time and effort. That doesn't mean that a split batch won't produce an enjoyable Doppelbock.

It might not get you a gold at NHC, but it will be nice to have on tap and, after all, you'll be entering that Eisbock anyway!

I should have clarified I don't think you can do both to the style guidelines.  I thought that was where the OP was going with the thread.  I totally agree you can do both and still may have a great Dopplebock to enjoy in the end.  It just may not be exactly to the style.

Dave
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 01:26:30 pm by davidgzach »
Dave Zach

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 05:13:06 am »
That's guys.  I'm going to tilt in favor of the eisbock and go from there.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 07:26:18 am »
That's guys.  I'm going to tilt in favor of the eisbock and go from there.

Good luck!  Let us know how it turns out.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 07:01:23 pm »
It's done.  Everything went well and the the wort is in the chest freezer to get to pitching temp and drop the trub. 

I think I've discovered the capacity of my mash tun.  11 gallons of 1.090 dopplebock.

Clint
Wort Hogs