Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using grain bag for Partical Mash (Mini Mash)  (Read 7376 times)

Offline showgun410

• 1st Kit
Using grain bag for Partical Mash (Mini Mash)
« on: November 07, 2012, 06:42:01 pm »
This is the first time I'm brewing a Partial mash recipe, when mashing the grain (steeping) is it best to use a large Muslin bag or just ad the grains in the water and use a strainer to collect the grains after the mash?

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
Using grain bag for Partical Mash (Mini Mash)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 06:45:53 pm »
When I was doing PM I used a bag. Less chance of mess.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Using grain bag for Partical Mash (Mini Mash)
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 06:52:18 pm »
Think of it as a large tea-bag. Works fantastic.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline showgun410

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 07:03:06 pm »
Any idea on how much gains will fit in a large muslin bag?  The place I got it from stated 3 - 5 lbs.  I bought two large muslin bags, would I be able to add the grains to mash into one large bag or even separate the gains in two different bags to make sure I have room for the grains to swell? I have about 5lbs of grains to mash.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 07:15:17 pm »
I'd do it all in one bag if the grain will fit. It swells but not that much. You'll need some way to lift the bag out of the hot wort without burning yourself. Then you can let it drain by hanging it somehow or hold it there. It's ok to squeeze the bag.

I like to the steep as a mini-mash @ 2qt/lb in a bag in a separate pot. Remove it and get all the liquid I can then dunk it in the primary pot of water before adding the extract. That way you get some extra goodness.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline showgun410

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 07:37:27 pm »
Thanks for the info and tips.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 06:35:59 am »
Just don't put so much grain in that the bag looks like sausage. I've seen that and I'm pretty sure conversion and efficiency are going wrong.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 08:06:56 am »
You definitely want the bag to be loose.  If it's tight, the center may not even get wet.

Poke it and stir it with a long handle spoon while it's mashing.

I have a large ss strainer that I put the grain bag into and let it drip back into the pot.  I also rinse the grains while they're in the strainer.

I put the bag on the side in a bowl and save the last bit of draining to use for starters.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 08:25:40 am »
Just don't put so much grain in that the bag looks like sausage. I've seen that and I'm pretty sure conversion and efficiency are going wrong.

+1
I use a grain bag at times and if I overfill, my efficiency is crap. Doesn't matter how much poking and stirring I do, I will lose way more gravity points than I'm comfortable with. Find a large enough bag to fit all the grains with ease.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 05:00:54 pm »
I found that you can strain, but the grain bags made it far easier and the beer came out great either way.  I've had one "accident" trying to "strain" beer and for partial mashes I kept on using grain bags after that.

EDIT: also consider getting paint strainer bags from home depot.  They hold a lot more than a muslin bag, and can be re-used if you clean them immediately after use.  I use them for hops mainly, but they work great in a mini-mash too.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 08:59:43 am by alcaponejunior »

Offline woodlandbrew

• 1st Kit
    • Woodland Brew
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 04:36:00 pm »
One of my batches recently some of the grain escaped from the bag, and I was still fishing them out when it came time to bottle.  Use a bag for sure. 

It sounds like you might have enough grain to warrant the use of a 5-gallon paint strainer bag.  You defiantly want the grains to be able to swim. 

Here's my little BIAB setup:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/09/biab.html
Brewing Engineering is avalible at Amazon

Offline brewlikeamonkey

• Cellarman
  • Cheesehead
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 09:15:31 pm »
+1 on the paint strainer bags.  Very cheap, fit perfectly in my boil kettle and you can put as many grains in as you want.
Mike