General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

IPA time

(1/4) > >>

Herminator:
Alright...second brew day is in the works.  This time I am going for one of my favorite styles, IPA.  I am huge hop head and love a good bitter and hoppy IPA. Obviously...I am too much of a noob but want to try my best to put out a good IPA.

I recently was able to score a couple pounds of hop pellets (thanks New Belgium!).  I got some falconers flight, Amarillo and cascade that I would love to use.

This one again will be an extract so I am looking for a few suggestions on the following recipe is a tweaked recipe from my local homebrew shop.

6 lbs pale malt extract
2 lbs amber malt extract
1 lbs medium crystal I
.5 lbs Dextrine
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Cascade
1 oz Cascade
1 oz Falconers Flight - Maybe to brighten it up?
2 oz Amarillo (dry hop)
American Ale yeast ...maybe 1056?

Thoughts on this combination of hops?  Would Armarillo suffice as a bittering hop or is it better to go with something else?  Falconers Flight from what I have read on various sites, brings a citrus flavor and thought it might be good to brighten this one up to avoid a dank and resin taste.

Thanks for the feedback. 

anje:
Personally, I wouldn't waste Amarillo for bittering.

Also, if you feel you can't get through all those hops, I'd be happy to help you with them.

kramerog:
Why do amber malt extract and caramel malt in an American IPA?  I say eliminate one and replace with a corresponding amount of pale malt extract.  If it was up to me I would drop out the amber malt extract because I don't know what is in it and because of the possibility that it could be old and have developed extract twang.

morticaixavier:
+1 on skipping the amber malt extract. add 2 more lb pale extract, leave the medium crystal, skip the dextrine unless you have some really compelling reason to add it.

On hops I would add enough of your highest AA hops at the begining of the boil or First Wort Hop and a 60 minute to get most of your IBUs then load up at the end with the amarillo and FF and maybe some cascade as well. 1 oz each at 10, 5, and 0 and then Dry hop with a couple oz of similar mix as the late hops

Herminator:
well the crystal is a specialty grain not extract.  I should have noted that.  I was wondering about the amber extract.  Maybe I will just go with 8 lbs of pale with the English crystal for some color. 

Maybe for bittering going with some warrior hops.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version