Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: bottling small amount from full batch  (Read 5914 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
bottling small amount from full batch
« on: December 11, 2012, 02:46:05 pm »
What is the best way to only bottle a six pack or so from a full batch? I am taking the batch to my friends to keg for a New Year's party but want some for myself in order to get good tasting notes, etc.

I am thinking about transferring the full batch to the bottling bucket and adding priming sugar as normal then bottling enough to get the remaining volume to 5 gallons. I will have to clean and sanitize the fermenting bucket then transfer back to it for transportation. I don't have a lid for the bottling bucket... The 5 gallons will be transferred to keg and conditioned in a fridge so I don't think the priming sugar will affect much. Is this a bad idea? I think it will be easier than measuring an amount of priming sugar for such a small amount of beer. I could see having difficulty with the final product's carb.

Any thoughts?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: bottling small amount from full batch
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 02:59:36 pm »
Coopers carb drops work pretty well for me. For 1-gallon batches I don't generally use a bottling bucket. I just attach my bottling wand to my autosiphon and bottle straight from the fermenter, then add one carb drop to each bottle.

If your sanitation is good, then you could do this to bottle a few right from your fermenter without having to transfer a whole batch to the bottling bucket.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 03:12:57 pm »
That is a great idea that I had not considered. I will see if I can track some down

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 03:48:16 pm »
I have heard of inconsistent results with Coopers drops, but have always had good luck with Muntons.  Four of these aspirin-sized pills in a 12 ounce bottle has worked for me.
Of course if you have kegging equipment you could always force carbonate some in a 2-liter plastic bottle.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 04:00:03 pm »
I've found the Munton's to leave weird white plasticy solid particles in my beer.  Supposedly they corrected this but not in my experience.

I've had good luck with the Coopers.  I've also had inconsistencies.  The inconsistencies may have actually been with Brewer's Best or some other brand.

Overall, it's a mixed bag in my opinion but they all work.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 04:22:32 pm »
Thanks guys. Not sure if I will have time to get any by Thursday night so I may have to go with my original plan.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 04:42:17 pm »
You could also prime the bottles individually with priming sugar if you have the ability to measure it accurately.
Eric B.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 04:45:57 pm »
Or bring a growler to your friends and pull a growler full after it is forced carbed but before it is all gone.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 05:21:24 pm »
All good ideas. I can only measure down to whole grams so I am not sure if that would be accurate enough. It looks like it would be about 2.21 g of table sugar per bottle according to what I normally do. I could do 2 g per bottle and just accept that it will be a little off.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 05:58:45 pm »
All good ideas. I can only measure down to whole grams so I am not sure if that would be accurate enough. It looks like it would be about 2.21 g of table sugar per bottle according to what I normally do. I could do 2 g per bottle and just accept that it will be a little off.

Here's an old pharmacy trick. Weigh out the full amount needed for the entire batch. Spread it out into an even rectangle, then use a ruler to divide that rectangle into even sections for each beer you're bottling. This should help boost your accuracy a bit.
Eric B.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 07:51:20 pm »
You could put it all in a bottling bucket, add priming sugar, bottle a few and drain the rest into the keg. Let the bottled and kegged beer condition. Good to go.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 09:41:44 pm »
You could put it all in a bottling bucket, add priming sugar, bottle a few and drain the rest into the keg. Let the bottled and kegged beer condition. Good to go.

That was kind of my original idea. The main thing is I want to get the bottling over with before I go over there due to a time crunch. In this instance I would have to transfer back to a cleaned and sanitized fermentation bucket for transportation since I somehow lost the lid for the bottling bucket.

I think I may have talked myself into this option even though it is probably more complicted than necessary. I think this makes sense due mainly to timing.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 11:34:36 pm »

That was kind of my original idea. The main thing is I want to get the bottling over with before I go over there due to a time crunch. In this instance I would have to transfer back to a cleaned and sanitized fermentation bucket for transportation since I somehow lost the lid for the bottling bucket.

I think I may have talked myself into this option even though it is probably more complicted than necessary. I think this makes sense due mainly to timing.

Okay, here is a compromise that I think will work alot better. Get the keg from your friend, transfer the whole amount of beer into the keg with the priming sugar and bottle the uncarbed beer from the keg. just force it out with minimal co2. then let the keg and the bottles condition.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 07:04:40 am »

Okay, here is a compromise that I think will work alot better. Get the keg from your friend, transfer the whole amount of beer into the keg with the priming sugar and bottle the uncarbed beer from the keg. just force it out with minimal co2. then let the keg and the bottles condition.
That's a pretty good idea, I like that.
Jesse

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 07:16:17 am »
I'm surprised nobody has thrown out the idea of force carbing the entire keg, then just bottling from it. You can do it as simply as a bottling wand stuffed into a picnic tap with the springy bit removed. I have a beer gun, but for 6 bottles or so its not worth breaking it out. I do this all the time.

Advantages are clearer beer in the bottles (no sediment), you know the carb level, and it's faster.