Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: bottling small amount from full batch  (Read 5885 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: bottling small amount from full batch
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 08:48:43 am »
I'm surprised nobody has thrown out the idea of force carbing the entire keg, then just bottling from it. You can do it as simply as a bottling wand stuffed into a picnic tap with the springy bit removed. I have a beer gun, but for 6 bottles or so its not worth breaking it out. I do this all the time.

Advantages are clearer beer in the bottles (no sediment), you know the carb level, and it's faster.

somebody did  ;)

Or bring a growler to your friends and pull a growler full after it is forced carbed but before it is all gone.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 01:36:28 pm »
I'm surprised nobody has thrown out the idea of force carbing the entire keg, then just bottling from it. You can do it as simply as a bottling wand stuffed into a picnic tap with the springy bit removed. I have a beer gun, but for 6 bottles or so its not worth breaking it out. I do this all the time.

Advantages are clearer beer in the bottles (no sediment), you know the carb level, and it's faster.

somebody did  ;)

Or bring a growler to your friends and pull a growler full after it is forced carbed but before it is all gone.

touche, although that was a growler, and i suggested regular bottling   ;D

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 04:35:10 pm »
Thanks for all of the good ideas all.

My buddy convinced me to come over, transfer 1 gallon for bottling and the rest to the keg. I should get about 10 bottles to condition and consume independently. I calculated needing 24 g of table sugar for priming which should yield more consistency than I was planning. The keg will end up with less than 5 gallons but there will be 3 other beers on tap that night so it shouldn't be a big deal.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale