Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dishwasher Sanitize vs. Jet Bottle Washer  (Read 10996 times)

Offline ncoleman

• 1st Kit
Dishwasher Sanitize vs. Jet Bottle Washer
« on: December 13, 2012, 12:22:23 pm »
Hello all,

I am just joining the AHA, so this is probably not a new question, but I was hoping to get a variety of opinions on this topic.

I have bottled several batches, and each time, I have sanitized my bottled by soaking them in a solution of water and iodophor, then putting them in the dishwasher (with no detergent, ect) on the sanitize setting. This has worked well, but takes a long time.

I am thinking about getting a jet bottle washer, but I am not sure if this will be more effective than my current method. Does anyone have experience with both/have a preference one way or the other?

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Dishwasher Sanitize vs. Jet Bottle Washer
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 12:25:16 pm »
When I bottle I put one tablespoon of B-Brite in the dishwasher and run a wash with the sanitize cycle.  Works great.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 12:33:36 pm »
First of all, welcome to the AHA and the forum. As far as your questions, can we assume the bottles are clean before your iodophor/dishwasher sanitizing regimen? If so, you really only need to do one or the other. Pick whichever is more convenient for you. The jet bottle washer will help you clean the bottles before sanitizing, so if that's what you're considering using it for, go for it. Just remember, you can't sanitize something unless it's clean first.
Mark Gres

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 12:37:56 pm »
I tend to see the jet bottle washer as something that's used for cleaning the bottles, not sanitizing. You need to do both (even if cleaning is just rinsing the bottles after finishing the beer).

I use a wine sulfiter filled with Starsan for my sanitizing step, and find it much quicker and more enjoyable than anything that involves dunking the bottles.
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline ncoleman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 12:44:45 pm »
Thanks for the welcome and quick responses,

I clean out the bottles with a quick rinse and shake before sanitizing, but when described as it is above, the jet washer seems like it would make that process much less tedious.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 01:04:18 pm »
either way, i am not sure i would use iodophor as then you have to rinse i think. i throw mine (already cleaned) in the dishwasher on sanitize the morning of brew day.  i usually bottle the previous batch while the boil and mash is going on.
Don AHA member

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 01:07:26 pm »
I would still recommend "cleaning" the bottles.  I don't think a quick rinse cuts it.

You can clean the bottles with either dish soap and a bottle brush (you can hook it up to your drill for a power wash) or a 30 minute soak in hot PBW. 

I prefer the stainless jet washer to the brass one.  It's more gentle on your plumbing.

P.S.  no reason to rinse iodophor
Brew on

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 01:16:19 pm »
I would still recommend "cleaning" the bottles.  I don't think a quick rinse cuts it.

You can clean the bottles with either dish soap and a bottle brush (you can hook it up to your drill for a power wash) or a 30 minute soak in hot PBW. 

I prefer the stainless jet washer to the brass one.  It's more gentle on your plumbing.

Unless they have been sitting around unrinsed I don't get too chuffed with cleaning the bottles. I rinse well with hot water right after emptying them and then when it's time to bottle I either dunk/spray them in/with idophor/starsan if I am only bottling a couple off the keg, or put them all in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes the night before I am going to bottle. The dishwasher works too, instead of the oven if you can be confident of the temp inside.

However when my stock of reusable bottles with labels still on gets a bit high I take an evening and soak them all in hot PBW solution mainly because it makes it easier to remove the labels.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 01:21:35 pm »
I

learn something new every day. 
Don AHA member

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 01:24:14 pm »
+1 to the soak for removing labels. 
Dave Zach

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 01:31:44 pm »
If you don't have one already, get a bottle tree or something similar that will allow you to set the bottles upside down to dry.  You don't need to rinse the iodophor, but you also don't want a puddle of it in your bottles when you fill them.

I use my jet washer for rinsing just about everything, so I would recommend having one.  Years ago, I bought a plastic one that is supposed to be easier on the plumbing but mostly I still use my old brass one.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 02:07:17 pm »
First of all, ALWAYS triple rinse bottles after you pour beer, then they'll be clean. All you really need to do is spray them out with starsan or dunk them in starsan. No need to make this complicated.
Jesse

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 02:43:52 pm »
I

I suspect it depends how much you use. Tried some nasty-finishing beer at the last homebrewers' meeting that more experienced tasters and brewers than me (read: BJCP National) said was iodophor.
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 02:48:48 pm »
I

I suspect it depends how much you use. Tried some nasty-finishing beer at the last homebrewers' meeting that more experienced tasters and brewers than me (read: BJCP National) said was iodophor.

you should never rinse idophor, if you rinse it will anything less than sterile water you are just re-introducing potential contaminants. But you should make sure you dont' end up with so much that you can taste it
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 03:01:09 pm »
But you should make sure you dont' end up with so much that you can taste it

It's not just volume but also the strength of the mixture.  I think that people tend to mix it stronger than necessary to be sure it does the job, but then you increase the risk of residual flavor.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton