Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water profile: Can someone just tell me what to do?  (Read 8306 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
Re: Water profile: Can someone just tell me what to do?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 08:55:07 am »
Gotcha.  I know good water is key to making great beer.  It's unfortunate that some have to treat their water before they even start brewing.  I guess I'm fortunate to have good water to brew with.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 10:08:46 am »
Gotcha.  I know good water is key to making great beer.  It's unfortunate that some have to treat their water before they even start brewing.  I guess I'm fortunate to have good water to brew with.

Don't know where you live, but the Midwest has very alkaline ground water. If a lived the next town east, I would have much better water from Lake Huron.

In Brewing Better Beer, Gordon Strong states he uses RO water and adds minerals for the beer being brewed. At the NHC in WA, his comment to the locals who have the mineral free water was "I hate you!" with a big smile. That water would be wonderful to brew with.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 10:29:11 am »
If you live in the midwest, you're a likely candidate for lime softening, if you care to do that. My well water is insanely hard, but it's almost all temporary hardness. I've gotten my water as low as 3*dH that way, but it's more typically in the 5-6*dH range, which is still pretty soft.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline hospter81

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 12:10:20 pm »
i bought a RO filter and just add salts as Gordon says on his book....but...just wondering at what time do i need to add in order to enhance salts addtions and flavor...i've been reading that some salts could precipitate before fermentation or just do nothing to alkalinity

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Water profile: Can someone just tell me what to do?
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 01:31:38 pm »
i bought a RO filter and just add salts as Gordon says on his book....but...just wondering at what time do i need to add in order to enhance salts addtions and flavor...i've been reading that some salts could precipitate before fermentation or just do nothing to alkalinity

It kinda depends on the purpose.  If you're adding salts for pH adjustment, they should go in the mash tun.  If they're for flavor, they can go. either in the mash or in the kettle.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 02:07:48 pm »
I like to do my mash and sparge water adjustments with acid (my water is pretty soft and it doesn't take much ordinarily).  I add flavoring salts to the boil kettle.  It's easier for me not to worry about what my mash adjustment salts are doing to flavor, how much are absorbed, etc.  Obviously, for darker beers, I don't use acid in the mash.
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 02:48:25 pm »
Americans obsess over brewing water. I don't think it's really all that important, in the grand scheme of things. Use a light touch. Only add stuff if you have a specific reason to do so. All things being equal, I've had the best results just by using the least-mineralized water I can. Make sure you hit your target pH though (use acid if you need to), because that can make a big difference.

Couldn't agree more.  Only a small percentage of people should have a problem with their water.  Of course, I'm fortunate to have very soft water.  I put a little dash of gypsum in for APA's and IPA's, but otherwise I use it as is with great results. 
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2012, 05:10:29 pm »
I agree water shouldn't be an obsession.  But it should be understood (not saying you don't understand it).

I am fortunate to have some pretty low mineral water to use as a canvas.  Just takes some minor adjustment for mash pH and flavor and I don't have to worry with it or think about it, certainly not obsess about it.
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2012, 05:18:09 pm »
At the NHC in WA, his comment to the locals who have the mineral free water was "I hate you!" with a big smile. That water would be wonderful to brew with.
It is ;) ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 05:20:14 pm »
At the NHC in WA, his comment to the locals who have the mineral free water was "I hate you!" with a big smile. That water would be wonderful to brew with.
It is ;) ;D

Yeah. Had you in Denny in mind when posting that.  ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 07:01:55 pm »
The water isn't as nice to brew with on the "Nevergreen" side of the state, unless you're brewing stouts. Hard and alkaline. I mix half well, half RO for pale ales.

Bruce
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 07:48:37 pm by ibru »

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 07:32:05 pm »
In Brewing Better Beer, Gordon Strong states he uses RO water and adds minerals for the beer being brewed. At the NHC in WA, his comment to the locals who have the mineral free water was "I hate you!" with a big smile. That water would be wonderful to brew with.

I think AJ DeLange said the same thing during the water symposium at NHC.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 06:31:20 am »
I have used bottled spring water since about the second batch I brewed, back in the extract days...water is usually my second-most expensive ingredient.  My well water is hard as a rock and while an RO system is worth considering, my buddy has a whole house RO system and he has to change the filters out so often that he buys his brewing water at Meijers or Menards, because he figures that it is cheaper than using his own RO.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"