General Category > All Grain Brewing

Water profile: Can someone just tell me what to do?

<< < (2/6) > >>

AmandaK:
+eleventy for Bru'n Water and the man behind it. Thanks Martin for helping us all out!

mabrungard:

--- Quote from: nateo on December 14, 2012, 10:28:49 AM ---Americans obsess over brewing water. I don't think it's really all that important, in the grand scheme of things. Use a light touch. Only add stuff if you have a specific reason to do so. All things being equal, I've had the best results just by using the least-mineralized water I can. Make sure you hit your target pH though (use acid if you need to), because that can make a big difference.

--- End quote ---

+1 on what Nate says.  But unfortunately, not all brewers have a low mineralized water source and have to use what they have.  Sometimes its a disaster in waiting and all a brewer can do is screw it up more.  But until the brewer has a decent idea of what is in their water, any way could be the wrong way to go. 

I suppose another aspect that Nate is alluding to is the quest that some brewers have for using a water profile from a historic brewing city.  That can be a bad idea too. 

Nate's overall sentiment to use low mineralization is very sound though.  God has smiled on those of you that have a water source with little mineralization. 

nateo:

--- Quote from: mabrungard on December 14, 2012, 11:27:40 AM ---God has smiled on those of you that have a water source with little mineralization.

--- End quote ---

I buy RO for my light lagers, but lime softening is "good enough" for everything else.

I've learned a lot from talking to German brewers (pro and amateur). As far as I can tell, they only really care about alkalinity, and don't futz with their water nearly as much as we do. They also despise inorganic acids, so take their advice FWIW.

liquidbrewing:
Is your tap water that bad that you can't brew with?

hopfenundmalz:

--- Quote from: liquidbrewing on December 14, 2012, 04:41:38 PM ---Is your tap water that bad that you can't brew with?

--- End quote ---

If I liked to brew only stouts I might give it a try. The RA is 200.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version