Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Maris Otter Floor Malted Malt?  (Read 10014 times)

coastsidemike

Maris Otter Floor Malted Malt?
« on: December 14, 2012, 08:57:50 pm »
Anyone used floor malted MO?  I have not heard of it before, looking to use it for an IPA to hopefully build a malty backbone.  The semi-LHBS said not to use more than 20% as compared to using regular MO for all the base malt.  I don't see many references to it on the web.

WAYRTTD: I figured on using roughly 20% of this, then 2.5% of British Crystal 70/80, 2.5% Carapil, with the remaining 75% being 2-row.  Apollo is the bittering hop.  On the aroma side, the plan is to blend ibu's of 50% Cascade with 50% Apollo and Chinook.

Happy brew-day to you all.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 09:18:00 pm by surfin_mikeg »

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Maris Otter Floor Malted Malt?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 09:21:26 pm »
I made an oatmeal stout last year and used floor malted maris otter for all of the base malt. I don't know why the LHBS said 20%, but I'd say they don't know what they are talking about. It is a base malt so there is know reason you can't use it for all of the base malt.  This is the description on Northern Brewer's site:
This is a special craft malt from Britain's oldest working floor-malting facility. Still made by hand using many of the same methods as they were 200 years ago, Warminster's Maris Otter is a complex and bready malt. Use in any British style and many American styles for unparalleled depth of flavor.
I wouldn't spend the extra money on it if your not going to use it for all your base malt. Do or do not, there is no try!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 05:52:11 am »
I agree with the others that this is a base malt and I know of no reason to limit it to 20%. 

Keep in mind that floor malting is not as efficient or consistant as modern methods so you may need do a stepped mash to get complete conversion.  Not a big deal and not a reason to keep it below 20%.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 09:26:21 am »
I only ever buy floor malted Marris Otter.  It's a base malt and there's no reason to limit it.
Joe

coastsidemike

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 10:05:02 am »
Thanks all for the feedback.  It looks quite a bit different from other base malts and was not being sold as such, and I'll go the "do" route and see how it turns out. 

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 11:11:01 am »
I agree with the others that this is a base malt and I know of no reason to limit it to 20%. 

Keep in mind that floor malting is not as efficient or consistant as modern methods so you may need do a stepped mash to get complete conversion.  Not a big deal and not a reason to keep it below 20%.

Paul
I've used Fawcett's floor malted Maris Otter as a base in a ton of beers and never had conversion problems, FWIW.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Maris Otter Floor Malted Malt?
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 12:23:06 pm »
100% MO in a british ordinary bitter, pale ale or IPA (sub in a little crystal for the IPA). tastes awesome IMO. That said, I have heard more than once that British brewers often cut MO with pils malt at around 50/50. I also think I prefer my American IPA's to be cut 50/50 MO and pils. Just seems to give a cleaner hop profile for my tastes. YMMV.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 09:54:25 pm »
I use Crisp and Fawcett MO as a 90%+ base malt all of the time, but then I am not sure it is all floor malted either.  I know both places have floor maltings and floor malt some grain, but then they also both have more modern maltings.  I've never checked the sacks to see if they say the alt is 100% floor malted.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 06:40:06 am »
Anyone used floor malted MO?  I have not heard of it before, looking to use it for an IPA to hopefully build a malty backbone.  The semi-LHBS said not to use more than 20% as compared to using regular MO for all the base malt.  I don't see many references to it on the web.

This makes me curious. Can you ask the LHBS about the 20% rule of thumb and the logic and reason behind it? Oh, and for what beer styles. I use Fawcett/Crisp often at 90+% for British beers, and just used Warminster for a bitter at 95%. I like the resulting beer's malt flavor.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 07:05:07 am »
According to Fawcett's documentation, ALL of their MO is floor malted.  Other than having some problems with the beer clearing, I have had no problems with 95% MO and Golden Promise.  Although slightly different, the both have a much better "English" flavor than the Pearl varieties.

Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 10:19:33 am »
According to Fawcett's documentation, ALL of their MO is floor malted.  Other than having some problems with the beer clearing, I have had no problems with 95% MO and Golden Promise.  Although slightly different, the both have a much better "English" flavor than the Pearl varieties.

In that case, forget I said anything about efficiency.  ::)

I use a lot of MO as my base malt and it has never caused me any issues. 

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 10:36:35 am »
Cool, thanks.  I looked but couldn't find that info.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 10:42:03 am »
I use Thomas Fawcett MO for most of my ales. I like to cut it with an American 2-row to get the best of both malts. Makes great APA and IPA. I'm also planning to try cutting 50/50 with Pils malt. Great malt for ales.
Ron Price

coastsidemike

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 07:55:23 pm »

This makes me curious. Can you ask the LHBS about the 20% rule of thumb and the logic and reason behind it? Oh, and for what beer styles. I use Fawcett/Crisp often at 90+% for British beers, and just used Warminster for a bitter at 95%. I like the resulting beer's malt flavor.

It was SF Brewcraft; I won't have time to make it up there anytime soon.  I was only asking in reference to getting a decent malt backbone for an IPA.  They were not pushing; it was just something to try.  I did limit to 20% and step-mashed just that portion first at 135.  Thinking I'll keep an eye out for it next time I buy bulk malt.  They also mentioned to not overlook Golden Promise.

Learning a lot on this one; double-batched the day with two distinctly different styles.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 01:51:35 am »
It was SF Brewcraft

Save yourself a headache and don't bother with Brewcraft. Just make the trip to MoreBeer in Concord or Oak Barrel in Berkeley. Both are better stores with more reliable info and advice. And Williams Brewing is a good online option in the bay area - super fast shipping.