General Category > Beer Recipes

Belgian IPA Critique Please

(1/3) > >>

duboman:
So I put together a recipe modeled after Clown Shoes Tramp Stamp IPA after sampling a few and get a reply from the brewer that was kind enough to provide me the list of ingredients and the hops used in the recipe.

The only thing I added to the grain was the torrified wheat to try and bump up the richness of the head, not sure if it's really necessary though?

Looking for some input on the percentages/amounts used in the grain bill and thoughts asa well on what I came up with for the hop additions and amounts. Appreciate the feedback!

Recipe: Belgian IPA
Brewer: Commune Brewing Company
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Specialty Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 9.25 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.00 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.25 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.073 SG
Estimated Color: 7.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 58.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.2 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
6.25 gal              Chicago, IL                              Water         1        -             
13 lbs                Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)            Grain         2        71.9 %       
3 lbs                 Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM)          Grain         3        16.6 %       
1 lbs                 Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM)               Grain         4        5.5 %         
10.1 oz               Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)                 Grain         5        3.5 %         
7.0 oz                Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM)               Grain         6        2.4 %         
1.00 oz               Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - First Wo Hop           7        37.6 IBUs     
0.50 oz               Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min   Hop           8        8.0 IBUs     
0.50 oz               Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min     Hop           9        6.1 IBUs     
0.31 tsp              Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)              Fining        10       -             
0.50 oz               Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min   Hop           11       3.8 IBUs     
0.50 oz               Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min      Hop           12       2.4 IBUs     
1.50 oz               Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins)       Spice         13       -             
0.50 oz               Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 2.0 min    Hop           14       0.9 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               Belgian Ardennes (Wyeast Labs #3522) [12 Yeast         15       -             
1.25 tsp              Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days)        Other         16       -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 18 lbs 1.1 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 5.65 gal of water at 163.7 F        152.0 F       60 min       

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.15gal, 4.63gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:

jamminbrew:
My only comment would be the Belgian yeast. I have found that the hop profile in my IPA's tends to mask the flavors I would normally get from the yeast.  But otherwise, looks tasty. But it doesn't look like a real heavy hop profile, so maybe the yeast will shine through.

denny:

--- Quote from: theantipunk on December 15, 2012, 10:16:42 AM ---My only comment would be the Belgian yeast. I have found that the hop profile in my IPA's tends to mask the flavors I would normally get from the yeast.  But otherwise, looks tasty. But it doesn't look like a real heavy hop profile, so maybe the yeast will shine through.

--- End quote ---

I've used 3522 to make a Belgian IPA many times.  It and the hops really complement each other.

denny:
I'd say need more hops.  IMO, 58 IBU isn't enough for an IPA of that OG.

duboman:

--- Quote from: denny on December 15, 2012, 11:01:12 AM ---I'd say need more hops.  IMO, 58 IBU isn't enough for an IPA of that OG.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the input Denny, Do you think if I get up around 70 IBUs would be good and should I just bump up the bittering additions and I've got enough aroma or should I bump up everything across the board?

BTW, I've got your Bourbon Vanilla Porter conditioning in bottles right now. The pre-bottle sample tasted amazing! It's only been a week so I'm hoping to try a bottle around the New Year ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version