Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Champagne Beer (Deus) spice recommendations  (Read 2906 times)

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
Belgian Champagne Beer (Deus) spice recommendations
« on: December 15, 2012, 11:25:37 am »
I am finally going to make a Deus clone using Drew Beechums / Maltose Falcons recipe and directions.  The Deus spice recommendations are lavender, cinnamon, allspice and ginger in the bottling sugar solution.  However, he makes no quantity suggestions for each of these spices.  Anyone done this recipe and have suggestions on the amount of each spice to use?
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Belgian Champagne Beer (Deus) spice recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 12:47:26 pm »
I haven't done the recipe but I've had the beer a few times and I don't think it has those spices in it.  It has a spicy belgian yeast and pils malt character though.  I would leave the spices out completely.

But if you want to add some, I would just wait for Drew to find this thread and he'll tell you himself.  Give it a few hours. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 01:37:25 pm »
My WAG: 1 gram of each per gallon. But I'm in the "if you can name the spice (while you're drinking it), YDIW" camp.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 02:08:04 am »
I haven't done the recipe but I've had the beer a few times and I don't think it has those spices in it.  It has a spicy belgian yeast and pils malt character though.  I would leave the spices out completely.

But if you want to add some, I would just wait for Drew to find this thread and he'll tell you himself.  Give it a few hours. ;)

That took significantly longer than a few hours.. sheesh.

Final answer - probably in the area of 1-2 tsp of each.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison