Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rolling boil gathers no moss...?  (Read 5393 times)

Offline aparce

• 1st Kit
Rolling boil gathers no moss...?
« on: December 16, 2012, 12:15:25 am »
Hello All,
I recently moved apartments and my gas stove in my new apartment is strangely weaker than the electric burner I was using in my old apartment. I am an extract brewer and have been fairly pleased with my results, I try as much as possible to do full volume (6 gallons starting for a 5 gallon recipe) boils. While my new stove is quite weak it does eventually get the wort to 100 C. However there is not that much motion on the surface and I definitely would not say the boil is "rolling." Is this a problem? Is there a benefit to having a vigorous boil or is the fact that the wort is 100 degrees sufficient? Also if it helps, I am getting a decent hot break.
Thanks!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Rolling boil gathers no moss...?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 06:27:37 am »
There needs to be some action, some turn-over of the wort during boil.  Much more is not necessary.  Some of it is kinetics: hot break, where proteins run into each other and stick, and moving around helps get rid of DMS. 

Steve
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 10:34:00 am »
Is DMS an issue with extract?
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 10:35:16 am »

Don't think so.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 01:31:13 pm »

Don't think so.

As much as I hesitate to contradict someone with so much more experience than I... I think it is an issue.  It is created wherever heat is applied in each step: mash and boil.

Steve
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Rolling boil gathers no moss...?
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 02:24:50 pm »

Don't think so.

As much as I hesitate to contradict someone with so much more experience than I... I think it is an issue.  It is created wherever heat is applied in each step: mash and boil.

Steve

There have to be DMS precursors (SMM) in order for DMS to be formed.  Those are driven off when the extract is produced.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 06:23:52 pm »
+1, there is a finite supply of SMM.  Once it is boiled off, it is gone.
And SMM/DMS is only a worry in pale-colored malts like pilsner malts.  With any malt as dark or darker than pale ale malt it's not a concern.
Brew on

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 09:23:33 pm »
There's no reason your gas stove should be that weak though - are you sure the gas pressure is where it is supposed to be?  It doesn't sound to me like the stove is working the way it should.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 06:33:58 am »
There's no reason your gas stove should be that weak though - are you sure the gas pressure is where it is supposed to be?  It doesn't sound to me like the stove is working the way it should.
I used to have problems boiling 4G on my gas stove. I now have an electric stove that boils 6g easily. Different burner powers.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 10:32:35 am »
I used to have problems boiling 4G on my gas stove. I now have an electric stove that boils 6g easily. Different burner powers.
Weird, my electric stoves were always way under powered.  But then I started brewing outside long before we had a gas stove, so I guess I can't directly compare the two.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 10:43:18 am »
Weird, my electric stoves were always way under powered.  But then I started brewing outside long before we had a gas stove, so I guess I can't directly compare the two.

some of the newer electric stoves are beasts. I have a BIG element on my electric stove, meant for big pasta pot type boils that will make water jump out of the pot. It's about 14-16 inches across and if you crank it you can feel the heat across the kitchen.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 10:51:00 am »
some of the newer electric stoves are beasts. I have a BIG element on my electric stove, meant for big pasta pot type boils that will make water jump out of the pot. It's about 14-16 inches across and if you crank it you can feel the heat across the kitchen.
:o
That is a huge element.  I never had (and have never seen) an electric burner more than half that size.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 01:31:22 pm »

Yeah, I have two large burners (same diameter) with a 0-10 knob. On one I saute in the 6-8 range. On the other I must keep it below 3 or scorch everything. I only go higher to boil water.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 01:29:42 pm »

There have to be DMS precursors (SMM) in order for DMS to be formed.  Those are driven off when the extract is produced.

I've wondered about this.  When I make a starter with DME and boil it for 10 minutes on the stove, why do I get hot break?  I figured that would have been taken care at the maltster as well.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 01:52:51 pm »
:o
That is a huge element.  I never had (and have never seen) an electric burner more than half that size.

Okay, looking at it once I got home it's maybe 12-14 inches across but it is still a beast. The other three elements on the stove are LED based I think, looking at them they appear to be clusters of small elements in the traditional spiral pattern but the big one looks like a classic one piece element, just under the surface glass.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce