General Category > Equipment and Software

Rolling boil gathers no moss...?

(1/4) > >>

aparce:
Hello All,
I recently moved apartments and my gas stove in my new apartment is strangely weaker than the electric burner I was using in my old apartment. I am an extract brewer and have been fairly pleased with my results, I try as much as possible to do full volume (6 gallons starting for a 5 gallon recipe) boils. While my new stove is quite weak it does eventually get the wort to 100 C. However there is not that much motion on the surface and I definitely would not say the boil is "rolling." Is this a problem? Is there a benefit to having a vigorous boil or is the fact that the wort is 100 degrees sufficient? Also if it helps, I am getting a decent hot break.
Thanks!

yso191:
There needs to be some action, some turn-over of the wort during boil.  Much more is not necessary.  Some of it is kinetics: hot break, where proteins run into each other and stick, and moving around helps get rid of DMS. 

Steve

dcbc:
Is DMS an issue with extract?

denny:

--- Quote from: dcbc on December 16, 2012, 10:34:00 AM ---Is DMS an issue with extract?

--- End quote ---

Don't think so.

yso191:

--- Quote from: denny on December 16, 2012, 10:35:16 AM ---
--- Quote from: dcbc on December 16, 2012, 10:34:00 AM ---Is DMS an issue with extract?

--- End quote ---

Don't think so.

--- End quote ---

As much as I hesitate to contradict someone with so much more experience than I... I think it is an issue.  It is created wherever heat is applied in each step: mash and boil.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version