Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Berliner Weisse Question  (Read 8237 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Berliner Weisse Question
« on: December 16, 2012, 05:57:33 am »
So it's my first (intentional) sour and I was just wondering, as I am at a little over a month in the primary on WLP630 - should I rack to secondary? Or just let it go the full time on the lees before racking to keg?  I was planning on 6-8 months for this beer.  Since it is so low in gravity, I didn't want to assume that it was to be treated like the bigger Belgians.

:-[
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline lornemagill

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin/Round Rock, TX
Re: Berliner Weisse Question
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 08:42:36 am »
this wont necessarily answer your question, just passing along my berliner experiences.  i did a berliner last year and pitched lacto wlp677 first, then wlp611 four days later, the lacto fermented most of the sugars before i pitched the ale yeast.  transferred to a sanke keg for secondary conditioning/souring in the closet for one month.  bottled 5 gallons, kegged 5 gallons.  it was a good clean, clear beer but never got as sour as i like.  i have since done two batches of a sour mash berliner that have been great and are ready in two or three weeks.  one got a 34 score last year, nothing to brag about but within normal limits.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 09:56:52 am »
Yeah, I listened to that talk from NHC about going with the Lactobacillus for 5 days and then adding the yeast, but my LHBS talked me into the Berliner Weisse WLP proprietary blend (since it was getting a little long in the tooth, he gave me all 3 of his vials for the price of one - so I pitched em all!)

Just wondering about the racking off the yeast part...

Offline lornemagill

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin/Round Rock, TX
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 06:14:06 pm »
no matter what i'm sure it will be a fine beer.  it just depends on what you want.  for me i had no real bar to judge by.  the only berliner i had at the time i brewed my first was from my local brewery.  i think i've only had 3 berliners other than my own.  i've yet to have one from berlin or even outside austin.  its a great summer beer, sometimes i mix it with cherry juice.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 06:14:36 pm »
Can you check the pH?   A Berliner Weisse should be between 3.0 to 3.2 pH.

For future reference, I like to do a "sour mash"/lactobacillus starter at 100-120F, then add the sour mash/lacto starter to the wort and repeat a sour mash at 100-120F.  After reaching the desired acidity, chill and add a German ale yeast.

How does it taste?
Brew on

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 07:59:52 pm »
I haven't tasted it yet, but ican pull a sample and test the pH and the taste.  I thought I would adjust at the end using lactic acid on this batch.  So you do two sequential lactobacillus starters and then mash at the 100-120f for how long before you then add yeast?  Also, no boil, I assume?

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 09:49:46 pm »
I do a "sour mash + lactobacillus starter".  I mash the grains, no-boil, and let cool to 100-120F.  Then add the starter and some more crushed grains and keep at 100-120F until sour enough.  Then cool to room temperature and add German ale yeast.
Brew on

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 09:06:41 am »
6-8 months for a berliner is insane. It might work, but it is a waste of time. You should be drinking this within a month.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 10:08:29 am »
Unfortunately, if you pitch the ale yeast with the lacto it can take that long. 

Now, most recommend pitching the lacto/sourmash first, then once you reach your desired acidity (~ 3 days) pitch the ale yeast.
Brew on

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 10:10:03 am »
Unfortunately, if you pitch the ale yeast with the lacto it can take that long. 
Exactly, so don't do it!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 08:47:38 pm »
So how quickly are you able to drink the BW doing it with the sour mash/lacto process first?

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 06:42:23 am »
So how quickly are you able to drink the BW doing it with the sour mash/lacto process first?
As fast as you can ferment and bottle condition. A quick boil after the sour mash will kill the lacto and stabilize the acidity. Ferment with an ale yeast and bottle - you could be drinking it 2-3 weeks after brewing. You also don't have to worry about lacto contaminating other equipment or bottles getting too acidic.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline dimik

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 08:15:20 am »
6-8 months for a berliner is insane. It might work, but it is a waste of time. You should be drinking this within a month.

I did a 15 gal no boil batch and drank the first 5 gal within a month or so and it was OK. The other 5 gal I left plain and bottled something like 8-9 months later, and the other one I aged on raspberries and bottled after almost a year. Both of those are WAY more interesting than the young version.
Check out BKYeast for my yeast ranching adventures and home lab!

Primary: Braggot, Petite Saison, Porter, Herbal IPA

On Tap: RyeIPA

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 08:32:12 am »
I did a 15 gal no boil batch and drank the first 5 gal within a month or so and it was OK. The other 5 gal I left plain and bottled something like 8-9 months later, and the other one I aged on raspberries and bottled after almost a year. Both of those are WAY more interesting than the young version.
This was not sour mashed I'd guess?
AHA Member since 2006

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 09:32:45 am »
...6-8 months for a berliner is insane. It might work, but it is a waste of time. You should be drinking this within a month...

Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/