General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Berliner Weisse Question

<< < (2/4) > >>

ynotbrusum:
I haven't tasted it yet, but ican pull a sample and test the pH and the taste.  I thought I would adjust at the end using lactic acid on this batch.  So you do two sequential lactobacillus starters and then mash at the 100-120f for how long before you then add yeast?  Also, no boil, I assume?

tom:
I do a "sour mash + lactobacillus starter".  I mash the grains, no-boil, and let cool to 100-120F.  Then add the starter and some more crushed grains and keep at 100-120F until sour enough.  Then cool to room temperature and add German ale yeast.

Jimmy K:
6-8 months for a berliner is insane. It might work, but it is a waste of time. You should be drinking this within a month.

tom:
Unfortunately, if you pitch the ale yeast with the lacto it can take that long. 

Now, most recommend pitching the lacto/sourmash first, then once you reach your desired acidity (~ 3 days) pitch the ale yeast.

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: tom on December 19, 2012, 10:08:29 AM ---Unfortunately, if you pitch the ale yeast with the lacto it can take that long. 

--- End quote ---
Exactly, so don't do it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version