Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 2729 times)

Offline synthesis

• 1st Kit
Introduction
« on: December 15, 2012, 03:27:22 pm »
Hello:  I am a new AHA Member.  I am from Wisconsin.  I have only taken a Homebrew class at a local homebrew supply store.  I did purchase an English Ale starter kit and carboy; however, have not had a chance to start brewing.  The owner of the supply store indicated he would be happy to do it with me.  I had the opportunity to meet and talk with a manufacturer of brew kettles.  I am intrigued by the science of the process and mechanics of the equipment.   

My push, however, to do this is a paper that I am writing for my college composition course (I am a returning adult student).  I have chosen the subculture of homebrewing beer.  I know a gentleman who has been doing this for 35 years and makes an incredible beer.  I love a good flavored amber or darker ale.   Some of the values and beliefs I have found thus far are the challenge in the creation of a good product--quality flavor.  The competition.  Fellow homebrewers are one big family.  I am wondering if anyone would be interested in sharing their values and beliefs relative to the hobby of homebrewing beer. 

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 05:29:01 pm »
Welcome!
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 08:02:49 am »
Honestly it's not a  conscious decision to uphold any values, I just want to make great beer.  I guess superior craftsmanship and liking hand crafted things do count for something in my case, but I'm still mostly in it for the beer.  If you're generous with your beer, there's plenty of social benefits from homebrewing too.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 08:19:09 am »
I would say there is definitely a certain camaraderie between homebrewers.  There is so much to know and you can learn something new every day.  That is why I like the forum so much.  You can share and gain knowledge. 

Most guys like beer, so it's not hard to strike up a conversation.  I find at parties and social events, at least part of the conversation is about the latest beer I have made and the process itself.

For me, homebrewing is a hobby with almost no limits.  You are always chasing that perfect pint.  As soon as you reach it, or something really darn close, there is another style to try and master.  And then you realize something you could try to add to the last perfect pint to make it a lillte better. 
Dave Zach

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 09:15:56 am »
Welcome! There are two extremes of brewing, on one end, if you can bake a cake, you can make beer. On the other is the science/technical component. You can really go down the rabbit hole if you want to, but it's not necessary to make good beer. Most homebrewers fall somewhere in between. I like homebrewing because I make weird things you wouldn't be able to buy in the store (like I've got an American adjunct lager dry-hopped with Motueka going right now).

I'm always amazed at the variety of people who get into homebrewing (I mean, as diverse as white men can be diverse).
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 10:20:14 am »
I choose hobbies because I like to learn, and there is certainly a lot of knowledge to be absorbed in the homebrew hobby.  The production of good beer, is just a nice sidebar that keeps me motivated.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 10:46:37 am »
Welcome to the forum.

Joining us here on the forum will definitely help. Don't hesitate to ask questions as we are here to provide all the help we can. There are a few really good books out there as well. Do you have John Palmer's book "How to Brew". Brewing with other seasoned homebrewers is probably one of the best ways to learn.

Ron Price

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 01:09:11 pm »
Welcome to the obession (oops, I mean hobby, that's it).  Tom
Brew on

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 05:21:25 pm »
Welcome!

I guess at this point my desire is to always improve both my process and beer. But my goals for participating on homebrewing forums is to pass on the knowledge that was so freely given to me as well as what has been learned through my own practical experience. And the camaraderie is always great. I feel like there have been friends made over the years even though only a few have been met face to face.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 06:14:44 pm »
New blood!  Homebrewers are a different sort of breed, but we all get along and learn so much from each other, like no other group on earth that I have seen.  We take pleasure in the creative process of developing recipes, in perfecting our brewing techniques, in thinking outside of the box, and of course, in consuming the fruits of our labors.

As a fellow Wisconsinite, I would like to invite you to visit my own homebrew club meeting sometime, where you will meet 5 to 10 homebrew enthusiasts who would love nothing more than to talk all night long about how much fun it is to get into this hobby and what it is like to be a homebrewer.  My club, the Manty Malters, meets at Kathie's Stage Door Pub in Manitowoc at 6pm the first Thursday of every month.  If this is too far to visit, there are dozens of other clubs throughout the state who I'm sure would share the same sentiment.  Find out what your local club is and pay them a visit.  You won't be sorry, and you'll learn a ton at each and every meeting.  I've been homebrewing for 13 years and I'm still learning new stuff all the time.  It's a truly remarkable hobby to get into.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 06:18:55 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 08:47:25 pm »
Welcome to the hobby, I hope it works as well for you as it has for me.
First of all homebrewers are some of the friendliest people I've ever been associated with.  We relish sharing our successes and failures with each other, commiserate when someone screws up, applaud when they succeed.  The people on this site are among the finest-I waste time on several homebrewing forums and there is virtually no trashing of people here like I experience on some other popular sites.
Homebrewers are people who have learned the value of doing things for themselves-as a group we tend to also grow and /or cook our own food including cheese, sausage/smoked foods, make soap, in general things that 99% of the population think have to be purchased.  We are adventurous, we enjoy traveling to enjoy beer in it's native cultural setting or just going somewhere we know we'll enjoy having a beer.  My wife and I host an Oktoberfest every year, homebrewing friends an true beer lovers come from across the country every year to spend a weekend at our house drinking, eating and catching up with old friends.
I've made friends across the country as a result of homebrewing and beer forums.  Strange brewing connections have enabled me to hire about 15 new employees this year, although none of them are homebrewers.  I've met pro brewers who enjoy drinking and talking with homebrewers, it gives us a common language and culture to share.  A brewer in Maine that I met briefly 2 summers ago remembered me as "the homebrewer from New Mexico"when we met again this past summer, that's a good feeling.  I've met several people in person that I first met in homebrewing forums like this, our love of beer brings us all together.
All in all I'd say that we share a unique love of not only beer, but a love of the brewing process, history of beer, and the cultures that made beer the most popular drink on the planet.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico