General Category > Beer Recipes

Did I Overdo It?

<< < (2/4) > >>

davidgzach:

--- Quote from: tygo on December 16, 2012, 09:05:19 PM ---What was your OG?  I got around 51 IBUs figuring you were around 1.056.

--- End quote ---

It came in at 1.059 but I needed to add a gallon of water due to the hop absorbtion and 90 minute boil.  That brought it down to 1.048.  If I take out the gallon it goes to 48.7 IBUs.

Dave

erockrph:
Quite curious about this; please keep us posted. I've never done a massively late-hopped beer using a noble hop variety like this, and I'm curious how it will turn out. I'm planning a "Noble Heritage" IPA using Sterling, Crystal and Ultra, but I'm wondering if the noble hop character is enough to carry an IPA if you really hit it hard with late hops.

davidgzach:

--- Quote from: erockrph on December 17, 2012, 07:29:23 AM ---Quite curious about this; please keep us posted. I've never done a massively late-hopped beer using a noble hop variety like this, and I'm curious how it will turn out. I'm planning a "Noble Heritage" IPA using Sterling, Crystal and Ultra, but I'm wondering if the noble hop character is enough to carry an IPA if you really hit it hard with late hops.

--- End quote ---

Same here.  Never done a mass late pitch either so I had to try out the experiment. 

Looks like the yeast I pitched (2633) was a little old and tired.  It was harvested on 9/7 so I pitched all the slurry.  A day later it looks like it's just  starting to get going though. 

Dave

davidgzach:
I should also note that I was cleaning out some grain so I also have 1.25# of dark munich in there along with 8.5# of Pilsner and .75# of CaraFoam.  I thought the dark munich should help with a little malt backbone.

Dave

redbeerman:
Holy crap, Dave!  Let us know how it turns out.  I'll bet it's pretty darn hoppy! :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version