General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

cold break

(1/2) > >>

weithman5:
normally i brew small batches with all grain.  despite having made a heat exchanger from an immersion coil, i can generally just throw my kettle (4g) into the refrigerator.  then the next day dump in to my 2g fermentation bucket add yeast and go.  usually pour through a strainer that collects hops, hot break, cold break.

however, my brother gave me an extract  kit for 5g batch which i brewed yesterday.  i did the boil and added to my larger fermentation bucket with previously boiled and cooled water. thus i now have a bucket of wort with a nice layer of cold break.  i will be transferring this later today and adding yeast.  just found it impressive.

theDarkSide:
You need to add an end square bracket to the image "]"

I copy the link to view it...nice cold break layer.  I do this with lagers and cannot believe how much cold break there is the next day I transfer.  Sometime I have a hard time getting 5.5 gallons transferred even when I've filled my better bottle to almost the top from the kettle.

musseldoc:
I like to switch over my immersion chiller from tap to ice water once I hit about 80F, which takes the wort down to 40F.  It is impressive how much break falls out.  Sometimes it interferes with how much wort I can transfer cleanly to the fermenter. 

ynotbrusum:
I have a false bottom on my brew kettle and I put the hose into a double mesh strainer on the output side going into the fermenter.  That, coupled with hop bags, really allows me to start out pretty clear and to get a good harvest of yeast after fermentation is completed.  Just a thought... ;)

Cheers!

blatz:

--- Quote from: ynotbrusum on January 02, 2013, 01:13:36 PM ---I have a false bottom on my brew kettle and I put the hose into a double mesh strainer on the output side going into the fermenter.  That, coupled with hop bags, really allows me to start out pretty clear and to get a good harvest of yeast after fermentation is completed.  Just a thought... ;)

Cheers!

--- End quote ---

got any pics?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version