Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Crispin Artisanal Ciders  (Read 4351 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Crispin Artisanal Ciders
« on: December 17, 2012, 09:15:38 am »
I happened upon three of these at my local store. Don't waste your time, two of the three absolutely sucked and the third, The Saint, was only passable IMO.

http://mashbang.wordpress.com/2012/12/17/two-thumbs-down/
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Crispin Artisanal Ciders
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 10:29:35 am »
FWIW, my neighbor likes the Crispin ciders quite a bit, especially the honey crisp.  Maybe it doesn't travel well?  Or maybe she has a lousy palate. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 11:30:00 am »
I happened upon three of these at my local store. Don't waste your time, two of the three absolutely sucked and the third, The Saint, was only passable IMO.

Wow...different strokes, I guess.
They may not possess the character of a fine, home made cider...but the Crispin ciders I've tried were anything but offensive; in fact, I rather liked the dry one. 

As with beer, I guess that it just proves the notion that one man's poison is another man's elixer.
I'm lucky enough to have a local retailer that offers a single bottle purchase option for nearly everything new that comes into his store.  It's a godsend these days, especially with so many duds hitting the shelves lately.
 ;)
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 11:34:03 am »
I've had them and thought they were fine, but whether you like them would depend on what kind of cider you want. Crispin is owned by Miller-Coors, so I'd guess from ownership that they are trying to compete with Woodchuck/Strongbow/etc. and not dry artisinal ciders.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 11:43:17 am »
I didn't much care for the Crispin ciders, although I agree that the driest one was OK.
Angry Orchard ciders seem to me to be pretty good.  I found they are made by the Sam Adams guys, so I guess they're not as "crafty" as they should be, eh?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline bunderbunder

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 11:45:21 am »
As far as major commercial ciders go, I think they're fine.  There's all sorts of better stuff out there, sure, assuming you're lucky enough to have a good local ciderer, or live near a liquor store that's curated by someone with an interest in cider.  For something that's readily available, though, Crispin Original (blue label) is pretty decent as a go-to.

That said, I'll agree that most of their "artisanal reserve" stuff is more gimmicky than good.  Just like most things that feature the word artisanal prominently on the label, really.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 01:43:13 pm »
My wife and I really liked the one made with honey and fermented using a "trappist" yeast. Had a nice "belgian" character to it. Very tasty.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 03:47:03 pm »
The Trappist is The Saint.

For the rest of you folks, Crispin makes other ciders, be sure we are talking about the same ones which are detailed in the blog post. They are about $7 per bottle.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 10:12:49 pm »
I'm sure we're talking about the same ones, she likes them.  Different tastes I guess, or maybe we get it fresher.  I'll have to give it a try.

I actually really like this cider - it is quite sweet, but that's how I like it.
http://organicscrumpy.com/
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 06:04:27 am »
Cider nerd, here.... and I agree with Mike's sentiments that these ciders suck.  To their credit, Crispin's plain jane ciders are pretty good although by no means world class.  My favorite of theirs is Brown's Lane which is actually an imported authentic English cider ala Gaymer's, with a lot of that barnyardy flavor going on -- yum.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 07:33:16 am »
I actually really like this cider - it is quite sweet, but that's how I like it.

That cider mill is a few miles from my house. You get that out in WA? Never knew they shipped out of state. Don't expect too much of it this year, crop was devastated by frost.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 07:59:52 am »
I will say I have no idea how long these ciders had been around or how they were handled prior to hitting my local store, but they were refrigerated during the period they were there.

Tom, if you can choke down a bottle of Lansdowne you are the man. I immediately headed to the sink and spit it out. Envision cider, fermented with stout yeast and molasses added. I think I puked a little in my mouth describing it. ;)

Offline bunderbunder

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 08:32:12 am »
I'll agree with that.  The Landsowne might just be the most disheartening thing I've ever poured out of a bottle.  And I'm pretty sure I like molasses more than just about anyone else I know.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 10:22:25 am »
Tom, if you can choke down a bottle of Lansdowne you are the man. I immediately headed to the sink and spit it out. Envision cider, fermented with stout yeast and molasses added. I think I puked a little in my mouth describing it. ;)
Thanks, with a description like that you know I'm going to give it a try now ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 02:14:11 pm »

That cider mill is a few miles from my house. You get that out in WA? Never knew they shipped out of state. Don't expect too much of it this year, crop was devastated by frost.
Available in Delaware too.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958