Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blue Moon's Proximity  (Read 2967 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Blue Moon's Proximity
« on: December 22, 2012, 11:47:38 am »
Blue Moon's latest "crafty" beer. It's half wheat malt, half sauvignon blanc grape juice. Fairly uninspired, but inoffensive. Not worth the price tag ($8, IIRC). It tastes exactly like a mix of Blue Moon and a sauvignon blanc wine, which is what it is, so I guess that makes sense.

It could be really cool if done properly. I think I'll try to brew something like that soon.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Blue Moon's Proximity
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 12:07:43 pm »
Blue Moon's latest "crafty" beer. It's half wheat malt, half sauvignon blanc grape juice. Fairly uninspired, but inoffensive. Not worth the price tag ($8, IIRC). It tastes exactly like a mix of Blue Moon and a sauvignon blanc wine, which is what it is, so I guess that makes sense.

It could be really cool if done properly. I think I'll try to brew something like that soon.

Dogfish Head had a beer named Red and White that was a Witbier aged in Pinot casks.  It was really good.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 12:38:53 pm »
Dogfish Head had a beer named Red and White that was a Witbier aged in Pinot casks.  It was really good.

I had one of their wine/beer hybrids years ago, but I hated it. My palate wasn't as 'refined' back then, so maybe I'd like it now.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Blue Moon's Proximity
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 01:32:09 pm »

I'd say it was really weird and somewhat drinkable.  Horses for courses....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 02:57:22 pm »

I'd say it was really weird and somewhat drinkable.  Horses for courses....

I rather liked it (the DFH red and white, that is).  I can't say I have very high hopes for the new new "crafty" blue moon, though I'd probably try a bottle just for the purpose of posting a review (but I'm not going to buy a sixer just to post a review).

Offline amh0001

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 02:57:40 pm »
I had this at the California Beer festival. The wife liked it, but I wasn't too fond of it. I would have liked them beer and wine separately, but not together.

Good luck on making something similar. I could see a chocolaty stout and a red wine hint going really well together...mmm

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 03:08:25 pm »

Blue Moon dry-hopped with Nelson, maybe?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 03:27:27 pm »
Blue Moon dry-hopped with Nelson, maybe?

That's what I was thinking, plus a gallon of the gooseberry wine I made (it's insanely tart so I need something to blend it with).