Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Home Depot Deal of the Day!!  (Read 4088 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline beersk

• In the night!
Re: Home Depot Deal of the Day!!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 07:41:01 am »
You gonna get one? I'm not in the market for one, but it's cool they're putting it on sale.
Jesse

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 07:53:26 am »
Nah...I have a six tap chest freezer kegerator.  I just thought it was funny it is on sale at Home Depot.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline bunderbunder

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 08:04:49 am »
How much work does it take to modify one of these to work with corny kegs?  With more than one tap, for preference.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 08:13:52 am »
They are set up for corny kets. If you want another tap you need to buy another tower. Things to be aware of is the size of the C02 bottle. Cheaper kegerators often come with a 2 pound bottle and it is difficult finding anybody who will fill one of those. Also they come with a single gauge regulator. You have no gauge to see how much C02 you have. The most common complaint I have seen in all the reviews I have been reading about entry level kegerators is people have trouble getting them and keeping them under 40 degrees.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 08:32:44 am »
I just took a look at this and it does come with the 2.5 lb CO2 bottle. So you would need to invest $80 give or take on another bottle very soon. Also several reviews complained about not being able to keep it cold enough. For this price you would be better off buying a small chest freezer, conversion kit http://www.amazon.com/Kegco-Deluxe-Kegerator-Conversion-EBDCK-5T/dp/B0036UTZL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355931065&sr=8-1&keywords=kegerator+conversion+kit and some lumber. Or do as I did and pay quite a bit more for a quality unit.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 08:51:26 am »
This one is also on sale and may be higher quality. It has better reviews. A little more money though.
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kegerators/HBF05EBSS-2.shtml
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 09:59:09 am »
At first it looked like a good deal for another fermentation chamber, but the reviews are lackluster at best.  Anyone have experience with one?
Brew on

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 10:02:08 am »
At first it looked like a good deal for another fermentation chamber, but the reviews are lackluster at best.  Anyone have experience with one?
No experience, but the bad reviews mention 2 things - trouble keeping temps below 45F and bad pours. Temp shouldn't be a problem for a fermentation chamber, but you could buy a small chest freezer for half the price.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bunderbunder

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 10:35:15 am »
They are set up for corny kets.

The product description says it fits full size and 1/2 barrel kegs.  Don't those always have Sankey couplers?

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 11:24:49 am »
You MIGHT need a ball lock tap set. These are around $15.

I just finished doing a LOT of research on kegerators. I came to the conclusion that if I was not willing to either convert a freezer, or spend over $700, I would be throwing my money away on frustration. I chose to spend more money because of how I want it to look in my basement.

I did have an opportunity to physically see a $500 kegerator at Mennards, and I can honestly say, if I actually spent that kind of money, and that is what showed up, I would be really upset. You may want to take a trip to Home Depot and see if they have one on display.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 12:47:51 pm »
Yeah, I wouldn't buy something like this from a department store. You'll get waaaaay better quality by making one yourself or checking out somewhere like Beverage Factory. Even Costco has a piece of sh*t kegerator...wouldn't even touch it.
Jesse

Offline bunderbunder

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 01:14:51 pm »
Fair enough.  I think building one would be a heck of a lot more fun, anyway.