Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stir-Plate 3000 yeast stirrer review  (Read 5739 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Stir-Plate 3000 yeast stirrer review
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 12:34:58 pm »
Does it matter what material the flask is made out of?  I noticed some are pyrex, some are borosilicilate.

IIRC, Pyrex is simply a particular brand name of borosilicate glassware

Correct.  Wikipedia: "Borosilicate glass is sold under such trade names as Kimax, Pyrex, Endural, Schott, or Refmex."

It really depends on your process.  If you want to make the starter, cool and then transfer to the flask, any lab flask will do and you save some $.  If you want to be able to boil and cool in the same flask, then you need some form of borosilicate glass. 

The sticking point on this is your stove.  If you have electric coils, don't bother.  It will crack.  I have a glass top electric which distributes the heat well.  So far I've had no issues......fingers crossed.  If gas you should have no fear of cracking on the stove with Borosilicate.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 01:21:35 pm »
Or you could use .5 gallon ball jars and step up your starters
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 09:47:38 am »
If you want borosilicate glass, make sure it is borosilicate glass.  Pyrex products for house goods, which used to be borosilicate, are now tempered soda lime glass. It is a cheaper material which some claim is more likely to fracture under extreme temperature changes. Some flasks being sold may not be borosilicate.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:51:52 am by Delo »
Mark