Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt?  (Read 11498 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt?
« on: December 21, 2011, 07:58:40 am »
Have it for a Czeck Pilsner to be brewed in a few days, once the yeast is bumped up one more time.  The question is - Does this need a protein rest?

Don't think I want to do a triple decoction, so the next question is - Has anyone used it and how did the beer come out using your mash technique?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
Re: Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 08:06:49 am »
I have used the bohemian floor malted pils malt but not at 100% of the grain bill. It was more like 50%. I blended it with some Pale 2 row. I used a single infusion and had good conversion with it. I liked the beer it made, I drank it too fast though. My wife liked it so much it was gone in less than a month from brew day. I'll be doing another next month.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:57:09 am by brewmichigan »
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 10:26:30 am »
I have used it with a single infusion and got better results, more efficient, than their regular pils malt.  The flavor was subtly different, but I can't remember the specifics.  I do remember preferring it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 12:28:23 pm »
Awsome malt IMO!  I've used it several times with very good results. First time I gave it a 15 minute protein rest; last couple times I mashed in at 122* and gradually raised to beta. this gives a nice lacey head to the bottom of the glass. Dont be afraid to lager 4-6 weeks. Depending on your water hardness you might consider diluting with distilled.
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 12:41:38 pm »
Awsome malt IMO!  I've used it several times with very good results. First time I gave it a 15 minute protein rest; last couple times I mashed in at 122* and gradually raised to beta. this gives a nice lacey head to the bottom of the glass. Dont be afraid to lager 4-6 weeks. Depending on your water hardness you might consider diluting with distilled.

I was thinking of doing a short rest, at 122F, thanks for the input. 

The water will be RO, with just a little CaCl2 to get the calcium up.  Will measure the pH and use acid to drop if needed.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

narvin

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 03:55:56 pm »
Even with a triple decoction, they don't seem to recommend a protein rest with this malt:

http://www.weyermann.de/downloads/pdf/Voigt_Poster_Trends%20in%20Brewing%20Ghent%202010.pdf

An average Kolbach Index of 38.4% is given, which isn't undermodified enough to require a protein rest.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 03:57:35 pm by narvin »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 04:18:26 pm »
Even with a triple decoction, they don't seem to recommend a protein rest with this malt:

http://www.weyermann.de/downloads/pdf/Voigt_Poster_Trends%20in%20Brewing%20Ghent%202010.pdf

An average Kolbach Index of 38.4% is given, which isn't undermodified enough to require a protein rest.

Acid rest and a triple decoction, which I would like to avoid.  Going to think this over before using.  Thanks for the input and link.  Had not found that one on Weyermann's site.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 09:25:46 am »

As a follow up, was looking at the mashing chapter in New Brewing Lager Beers and Noonan stated that anything over 37 does not require a protein rest. Thanks for the info, will make the day shorter.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 07:32:19 pm »

As a follow up, was looking at the mashing chapter in New Brewing Lager Beers and Noonan stated that anything over 37 does not require a protein rest. Thanks for the info, will make the day shorter.

Warming up an old thread: did you ever use that triple decoction schedule in the link higher up this thread, Jeff? And if so, what were the results? 

thanks
red

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 07:54:29 pm »

As a follow up, was looking at tshing chapter in New Brewing Lager Beers and Noonan stated that anything over 37 does not require a protein rest. Thanks for the info, will make the day shorter.

Warming up an old thread: did you ever use that triple decoction schedule in the link higher up this thread, Jeff? And if so, what were the results? 

thanks
red
No a hochkurz is enough work. For more malt character I am going to explore different yeast. Jeff Gladish made a very malty Bopils with WLP-860.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild