Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: co2 tank filling  (Read 15477 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: co2 tank filling
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 01:06:29 pm »
We fill propane tanks by weight. I don't know if it's the same, but if the tank was improperly purged (there's air in there) that will throw off the weight, and limit the amount of propane that will fit in the tank.  If it's really hot outside (100*F+), it's hard to fill a propane tank 100% full. It makes total sense that your CO2 tank won't hold 5lbs if it's hot. Unless they cycle CO2 to cool it off like gmac described, it just won't all fit in there.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 02:11:01 pm »
You should call the dept of weights and measures in your state, they calibrate and monitor for accuracy on all devices.  Maybe the state official can set him straight. 
Good idea. They may regulate it and they surely can tell you what an acceptable fill level is for your tank.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 02:18:36 pm »
Someone called weights and measures on us once, because of this problem with a short fill. They came out, tested our scale, said it was fine, and left. They come out every year to test our equipment anyway (scale and the flow meter for RVs). It's not likely that the scale is the problem, or that you'll do anything but waste a bureaucrat's time.

I'd call the BBB if you think you're getting ripped off.

(We only charge by the pound, BTW, so we only charged him for the short-fill amount, but he was still pissed).

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 02:24:57 pm »
In Delaware they do far more than scales. They'll test almost anything in a pre-measured package to make sure it contains what the measurement says.

But it might be easier to get the tank filled at a place you KNOW won't rip you off (like a pressurized gas distributor that deals with lots of commercial customers. Weight it after filling and then you know what the other guy should be filling to. If they short, tell them and go elsewhere.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 02:41:57 pm »
I think if you just hook up a warm tank you can't get 5 lbs in due to the expansion or something. 

If CO2 is anything like propane, this is true. Our equipment has a pressure safety mechanism. Hot gases expand. If the tank is hot, the propane will expand, tripping the pressure mechanism on the filling device before the desired weight of gas is in the tank. At that point, the machine can't put any more propane in the tank.

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 05:36:36 pm »
I like my AirGas place. What I like best is they don't fill the tank, they trade it out for a full one. This insures that the tank is within DOT testing and no waiting. I think I paid $13-$14 for my last fill/tank.
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 09:37:06 pm »
I like my AirGas place. What I like best is they don't fill the tank, they trade it out for a full one. This insures that the tank is within DOT testing and no waiting. I think I paid $13-$14 for my last fill/tank.

Same here with Airgas
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 04:43:47 pm »
We fill propane tanks by weight.
Is that a common thing in MO?  I've never seen that, all of the places here and any other place I've gotten a tank filled charge by the gallon.

I swap all of my CO2 tanks, I really prefer it.  Very fast and easy.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 05:04:04 pm »
We fill propane tanks by weight.
Is that a common thing in MO?  I've never seen that, all of the places here and any other place I've gotten a tank filled charge by the gallon.

I swap all of my CO2 tanks, I really prefer it.  Very fast and easy.

In MI it is by weight. The tank goes on a scale, they set it for the tare and fill weight from the table they have posted on the filling shed wall.

Edit - there are few that charge by the gallon, but those are more expensive in my limited experience with that fill charge schedule.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 05:06:26 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 08:59:08 pm »
Edit - there are few that charge by the gallon, but those are more expensive in my limited experience with that fill charge schedule.
Any idea why it would be more expensive?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 06:06:05 am »

Not really, one is a hardware store with a very large bulk tank they fill from by the full fill, the other has a smaller bulk tank and charges by the gallon. The LP supplier was different for them, which might be part of it. Small sample size here.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 10:28:18 am »

Not really, one is a hardware store with a very large bulk tank they fill from by the full fill, the other has a smaller bulk tank and charges by the gallon. The LP supplier was different for them, which might be part of it. Small sample size here.
I found the place that fills the tanks for the local gas stations and other LP sellers - it doesn't look like the kind of place that would deal with a random guy showing up with a 20# tank, but they do :)  It is way cheaper from them than from any of the resellers, and about a block from the CO2 place.  Although it's very convenient anyway, I'm within 0.5 miles of there pretty much twice a day.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 10:41:14 am »
I've done both.  A local welding shop will trade the tank.  The homebrew shop fills by the pound.  I'm not sure who they wholesale with.

The homebrew shop requires that you leave the tank overnight.  They put it in their freezer so that they have it real cold and can fit the gas into the tank.  If it is an old tank, they'll send it out to be hydro-tested.

The owner quoted me one price (w/the hydro-test including the CO2) and the cellar-boy adding the cost of the CO2 to the hydro-test price.  After informing him that the boss had quoted me differently, he gave me the lower price.

I get my propane refilled @ a local gas station.  That's much cheaper than the tank exchanges because you get a full tank.

When the tank approaches the need for retesting, I exchange it.  I suppose it's gaming the system, but I'm not going to loose sleep over it.

It wasn't cheap, I paid over $75 for three tanks (a 5,a 10, and a 20#), but now I have enough CO2 to last a while.

The local hardware store fills paintball tanks for $7.  A handy profit for them.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline safi

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 08:09:28 am »
so i recently picked up a 10lbs tank from my local homebrew store, and payed $21 for a fill, only to hook it up and find the next day after carbonating the regulator has dropped to the order soon marking, which stumbled me, because i tested for any leaks before storing it in a cold environment (garage) should i go back and ask them to fill it back up?
Dani

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 08:16:36 am »
so i recently picked up a 10lbs tank from my local homebrew store, and payed $21 for a fill, only to hook it up and find the next day after carbonating the regulator has dropped to the order soon marking, which stumbled me, because i tested for any leaks before storing it in a cold environment (garage) should i go back and ask them to fill it back up?

The pressure drops if cold, you didn't say how cold your garage is. You can warm it up and see if the temp brings the pressure up.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild