So I just sampled a barley wine I brewed back in late november(around t-day). The recipe, if I recall correctly (as I am away from my home computer with my recipe info) was %60-%40 or %70-%30 pilsner and munich 10L for an OG of ~1.086. Adjusted RO water for pH and calcium with calcium chloride and gypsum. First runnings only went into the barley wine. I capped the mash with some wheat malt, flaked oats and a bit more pilsner and got a really nice wit out of the second runnings but that's not really related to the question/comment.
So I mashed this pils, munich grist low, around 149-150 for 90 minutes. did a 90 minute boil did NOT add any yeast nutrient as I have been getting some slight metalic flavours I suspect from the nutrient. chilled as far as i could, put it in the fridge to finish chilling, aerated and pitched a 2 step (1.5 l per step) starter of Wlp037 and stuck it in the spare bathroom as the garage can get a little chilly at night and I didn't want any stalling going on.
After 1 week I added 1 quart maple syrup (~2.5 lbs) which should have bumped my 'og' to about 1.100.
When I added the syrup I noticed a thick green chunky cap on the beer and I figured it was a combo of thick krausen from a true top cropper mixed with lots of hop gunk (I am not terribly careful to keep that stuff in the kettle) didn't think anything of it except 'ew gross' and put the syrup in.
two weeks later I took a gravity reading 1.016. Looking good! tasting pretty good as well. ugly cap of greenish gunk still there. But i am bottling this batch and I don't have time right now so it gets another couple weeks to condition on the yeast before I am ready.
fast forward to last night. out of curiousity I decided to sample and check gravity. Greenish gunk cap, STILL THERE! but whatever, it is what it is. no mold or anything actually gross just yeast and hop gunk. fill the cylinder, drop in the hydro and... 1.002!!!!! (the temp might have been as high as 68-70 so adjust that up to 1.003 or 1.004 maybe.
That's like 96-98% AA wow, this yeast is only supposed to handle ~75%.
Checked my hydro in plain tap water and at 78 it read .97ish so that's pretty accurate, maybe a point or two low so maybe we are talking about 1.006 tops.
I wouldn't be able to tell if there was a pellicle because the greenish gunk cap. I didn't get any strong funk in the flavour, it actually tasted pretty good. a little pilsner sweetness sort of highlights the maple flavours. Clarity is pretty good. I can't decide if I am tasting a hint of brett or just imagining that because of the insanely low FG but DARN. never seen attenuation like that from a non-belgian strain. According to beer smith that puts it at just over 13% ABV making this the biggest (ABV) beer I have ever brewed.
now that that is all out there, I guess it's not really a question but if all y'all want to hazard guesses as to what might have happened my ears are open.
It's going in bottles next week sometime primed with more maple syrup.
incremental feeding rocks to by the way. the flavour is not hot at all. you would NEVER guess this was a 13% beer.