Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Your favorite Christmas beers?  (Read 7015 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Your favorite Christmas beers?
« on: December 22, 2012, 04:13:09 pm »
I look forward to Sierra Nevada's Celebration every Christmas. I not only stock up on theirs, but try to brew a couple batches of a "clone" of it. But the one I really wait for from Christmas to Christmas is Scaldis Noel. The bottle even looks Christmasy, with the little cabin and the sparkly red, white and blue label. I spend the first part of Christmas Eve day cleaning Dungeness crab for dinner that night, prepping Christmas dinner, cleaning the house and wrapping presents. Then, about mid afternoon, I sit down with a goblet of Noel and sip it slowly while listening to Mel Torme, Tony Bennett, and Garrison Keillor Christmas CDs. A great reward for my efforts and it really gets me into the spirit.  How about you guys? What beer do you look forward to that really makes it feel like Christmas?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Your favorite Christmas beers?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 04:51:25 pm »
This year for the first time, I made a Great Lakes Christmas Ale clone.  It came out very close to the original and my wife and friends all like it.  I don't use spices (ginger and cinnamon) very much at all, so this beer has been a nice surprise and I plan on making it every year around this time.
Dan Chisholm

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 04:57:58 pm »
Really any of the Belgian Christmas ales do it for me. I finally tracked down some A'Chouffe N'ice this year which was as fantastic as I had hoped. Scaldis Noel is a great one although I find it doesn't age well. It's better fresh.

Some of the English and domestic winter warmers are also good. I'm particularly fond of Rahr's Winter Warmer and the Barrel Aged version.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline konrad

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 05:02:35 pm »
I used to really enjoy De Dolle Stille Nacht, but I can't find it in Michigan any longer.  So now it's Samichlaus.
Konrad

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 05:16:03 pm »
Great Divide Hibernation!!!

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 07:19:48 pm »
Great Divide Hibernation!!!

+1! Always look forward to GD Hibernation.  Also look forward to Avery's Old Jubilation and Odell's Isolation.  I also grab a few bottles of Dry Dock's Bligh Whisky Barrel Aged Barley Wine when they release it in mid Dec.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 07:44:02 pm »
+1! Always look forward to GD Hibernation.  Also look forward to Avery's Old Jubilation and Odell's Isolation.  I also grab a few bottles of Dry Dock's Bligh Whisky Barrel Aged Barley Wine when they release it in mid Dec.

I always confuse Isolation with Hibernation. I buy a 6er of Isolation, but when I get home I realize it's not Hibernation. They're both good, but I like Hibernation better.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 08:26:46 pm »
Sam Adam's Triple Bock.

Many years ago (mid 90's maybe), my brother-in-law and I saw it in the liquor store and bought a bunch of bottles.  But, when we actually tasted it, we hated it.  It was thick, sweet and just undrinkable to our unsophisticated palette's.  So, since we had a stockpile, we put it in the basement and each year for several years we'd share one as penance for the sins of the previous year. If I could find some and take it to the family Christmas sometime I'm sure he'd get a real kick out of it...til he drank it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Your favorite Christmas beers?
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 08:59:22 pm »
Man, I remember that stuff.  Kinda tasted like molasses and soy sauce.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 03:53:12 am »
Shared a bottle of La Rulles, Cuvee Meilleurs Voeux a couple of weeks ago with a friend.  I was not sure what to expect but it was really nice. Belgium dark ale but it was fairly refreshing and lighter than expected.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 06:04:20 am »

I still have one or two bottles from 1994/5.  I wonder if it has changed.....

(Edited to make sense)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 08:23:06 am by jeffy »
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 06:50:31 am »
I'm not generally into spiced beers, but Harpoon Winter Warmer just tastes like Christmas to me.

I still have a little or two from 1994/5.  I wonder if it has changed.....

I've been sitting on a bottle of it myself. I remember it being just OK back when I tried it - and I generally enjoy rich, sherrylike beers (Thomas Hardy is probably my all-time favorite brew). I usually crack something open from deep in the vault for New Years and the Super Bowl; maybe this year is the year I bust out the Triple Bock.

Regardless of how the beer is, the cobalt-blue bottle is a thing of beauty. I'd love to find bottles this color that accept crown-caps for my barleywines/quads and so on.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 08:46:05 am »
Zinnebir X-Mas from Brasserie de la Senne is the best I've had in a while. I first had it on the Christmas market in Brussels to wash down a steaming hot bowl of snails (going in my scrapbook of Best Belgian Experiences). Then I sat in a cafe and had another. Yummy.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 08:49:44 am »

That sounds super gross. I don't really like my beers 'meaty.'
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 09:09:45 am »
Euge turned me on to Noche Buena Estilo Bock  If I could
get it here in BFE it would deck my halls!
(thanx euge)
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.