Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Happy New Year  (Read 2775 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Happy New Year
« on: December 31, 2012, 05:34:12 pm »
Happy New Year Everyone. 

Since it's New Year's Eve and I'm sitting here perusing the beer forum, maybe I'll resolve to be a bit less boring next year.  Either way, here's wishing you all the best and I hope 2013 brings you your best beers ever.

Graham

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 05:48:28 pm »
Happy New Year! 

I'm going to be as boring as I usually am these days.  I'll probably pop open a bottle of champagne after the kids are in bed.  I'd wait until midnight but my wife will have already been asleep for a few hours by then.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 06:51:12 pm »
Guten Rutsch!

My goal this year is to work my way through my insane inventory of brewing supplies. I've come up with about 13 recipes today of things to brew, with stuff I have on hand. At the rate I brew, that should keep me busy through next year.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 07:35:13 pm »
Happy Brew Year!

My resolutions are:

Use up a bunch of my hops hoard. No point in stockpiling if it's going to go to waste. This includes doing another round of single-hopped brews for the new hops I have.

Brew with Brett. After listening to the Crooked Stave episode on the Sunday Session, I'm really interested in doing some all-Brett brews. I was already planning a Brett IPA, but now I'm seriously thinking of using that beer to grow up a pitch for a baltic porter as well. I'm also thinking that the sour-wort Berliner Weisse I've been wanting to do would be a good fit for a 100% Brett fermentation.

Take one Belgian strain and brew every Belgian style with it to learn that yeast inside-out. Leaning towards T-58 since I can literally walk across the street and pick some up at the local hardware store.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 08:11:01 pm »
Happy New Year all!

gonna use up those hops in the freezer.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Happy New Year
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 09:23:11 am »
Happy new year!

I opened a barley wine I made back in 2007 last night, last 22 oz bottle I had on hand. I was very happy with how well it aged. I have 2  twelve oz bottles left and tempted to open another one this morning. :)

Makes me want to break open the home brewing gear and fire up a batch to age!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:25:06 am by majorvices »

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 09:31:58 am »
Brew with Brett. After listening to the Crooked Stave episode on the Sunday Session, I'm really interested in doing some all-Brett brews. I was already planning a Brett IPA, but now I'm seriously thinking of using that beer to grow up a pitch for a baltic porter as well. I'm also thinking that the sour-wort Berliner Weisse I've been wanting to do would be a good fit for a 100% Brett fermentation.

I was disappointed by how thin and one-dimensional the Crooked Stave beer I tried was. I've made a couple this year with a mix of Brett and wine yeasts noted for increasing mouthfeel. One was a pale sour, about 4% abv, but it still had a good mouthfeel with this technique. IMO you need a yeast that can generate plenty of glycerol to compensate for the lack of dextrins due to the Brett.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 09:55:36 am »
My next brew is going to be a strong golden ale split with half fermented with 100% Brett. I'm going to add maltodextrin powder to add some longer chain  dextrins that I'm hoping will leave some body in the finished beer.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 11:26:47 am »
I stayed at the house and drank some Tank #7 along with some other beer and made 5 dozen delicious pork tamales. Outside near midnight listening to the kids happily shrieking the countdown by the minute and the adults letting off fireworks. Memories...

Best thing to do on amateur-night is to stay at home and out of trouble.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 06:54:25 am »
Happy New Year!!!

My resolution is to take my work more seriuosly and not spend a lot of time on the brewing forums during working hours...

DAMN!!  Oh well, maybe next year!  8)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------