Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mikkeller Ris a la M'ale (2011)  (Read 1280 times)

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
Mikkeller Ris a la M'ale (2011)
« on: December 24, 2012, 07:54:11 pm »
My sis got me this one for Xmas last year so I decided to crack it tonight, Xmas eve 2012. Served at cellar temp in large pinot glass.

Has a slightly hazy, cherry red color with a billowing, white head that lasts all the way to the end. Slightly sweet cherry and malt aroma with little to no hop aroma. Light saison yeast aroma, as well. Flavor is unexpectedly light. Not a fresh, juicy cherry flavor as I expected. The almonds play a very muted, supporting role. Nonetheless, the cherry flavor is apparent but more like a dried, subdued cherry. Very refreshing with a medium, slightly lower than expected carbonation on the tongue.

Overall, a very nice beer. I can't say it was love at first sip but it grew on me a lot by the time I got to the end. I was left with a nicely laced glass and the desire to try it again. Could use more carbonation, in my opinion.

I would really like to brew something like this for New Year's 2014 but kick up the bubbles a LOT more. Anyone have suggestions on how to make a nice, light bodied cherry saison?

Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!