Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Harp  (Read 6298 times)

Offline bru

• 1st Kit
Harp
« on: June 28, 2010, 06:05:58 pm »
Looking for a good all grain recipe for Harp?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Harp
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 09:54:29 pm »
Well gosh... I like Harp as well, so while I haven't brewed this yet, I just went ahead and took a first stab at designing a recipe for us.  Keeping it nice and simple -- I think the real key would be to use English or Irish ingredients, and a clean malty lager yeast.  So how does this sound?

Harp Clone Attempt
5 gallons

OG=1.049
ABV=4.9%
IBU=17
SRM=2.7

8 lb English Pilsner malt
0.5 lb cane sugar
0.75 oz Kent Goldings (5.5% alpha, 60 minutes)
Wyeast 2042 Danish Lager yeast

Make a big yeast starter in advance.  Need to add salts to hit Dublin water -- this is very important.  And then the pH won't be low enough so add some of that pH 5.2 stuff.  Do a standard single infusion mash for at least 40 minutes at about 149 F, boil 90 minutes to minimize DMS, ferment at about 50 F for 2 weeks, lager at 30-something for 3 more weeks.  Carbonate in the mid-range for the style.  It's all good.

Someday I might brew this.  So easy, yet so delicious.  If you get to it first, let me know how it turns out.  Good luck.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 06:48:35 am »
Need to add salts to hit Dublin water --

I don't know about that, I'd bet a wooden nickel they make water adjustments with either slaked lime or RO water or something to get the mineral content down.

+1 to the huge yeast starter though. You are going to need at least a gallon starter, fermented to completion, decant spent starter beer and pitch only slurry to make a proper lager.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 08:13:15 am »
And then the pH won't be low enough so add some of that pH 5.2 stuff.

Be aware that, in spite of what they advertise, the concensus is that the 5.2 Buffer stuff won't do much of anything to lower your pH.  It's a buffer which means that it resists changes in pH - which is good once you get your pH into the 5.2 range.  If your pH is way off, 5.2 buffer won't get it there, though.
Joe

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 02:29:16 pm »
The consensus?  Really?  I hadn't heard about this yet.  I guess I've been using the pH 5.2 stuff for nothing then.  Although, it seems to work for me -- at least, it's better than when I don't use it.  I don't test pH in every batch, but I did for a couple of years, and it appeared to get me into the right range.  Maybe it's a gimmick, or a placebo??
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 07:14:39 am »
The consensus?  Really?  I hadn't heard about this yet.  I guess I've been using the pH 5.2 stuff for nothing then.  Although, it seems to work for me -- at least, it's better than when I don't use it.  I don't test pH in every batch, but I did for a couple of years, and it appeared to get me into the right range.  Maybe it's a gimmick, or a placebo??

Or maybe your water profile was already good w/o the stuff.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 06:37:57 am »
Resurrecting this old thread......

Has anyone ever brewed my Harp recipe above?  Or something similar to it?  I'm going to brew it next month and was wondering how close it came to the real thing.  I think it should be right, but now I'm also wondering if Harp actually uses a German yeast and German hops.  It is quite a German tasting lager, really.  So I was wondering if I should tweak my recipe in that regard.  What do you think?
Dave

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 03:02:00 pm »
Resurrecting this old thread......

Has anyone ever brewed my Harp recipe above?  Or something similar to it?  I'm going to brew it next month and was wondering how close it came to the real thing.  I think it should be right, but now I'm also wondering if Harp actually uses a German yeast and German hops.  It is quite a German tasting lager, really.  So I was wondering if I should tweak my recipe in that regard.  What do you think?

I like everything you have above, however I would add 4oz of Acid Malt to bring down the PH instead of the 5.2 stuff.  Let us know how it turns out.

Dave
Dave Zach