Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Your favorite Christmas beers?  (Read 7038 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Re: Your favorite Christmas beers?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 10:45:33 am »
Seconding Celebration, which this year seems exceptional, especially for a beer that can be had for $1/bottle (by the case at CostCo) or at least $7.99/sixpack. I don't know what the difference is, but it feels exceptionally fresh and hoppy and malty and... mmmm.

My Christmas Eve tradition of exactly two years is to have a glass of Maredsous on draught at a place nearby, either that afternoon or early evening, before or after the 5 pm church service. Most of the year it feels too big for the weather or whatever I'm up to next, but on Christmas Eve it even tastes better than Scaldis Noel.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 01:21:45 pm »
+1 on the Celebration Ale.  Always enjoyable.  My favorite Christmas beer, the one in my hand. 8)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 07:09:54 am »
Tried Samichlaus for the first time last night. I figured it would be a fitting choice for a Christmas beer. It was definitely a bit rough around the edges even though they age it for 10 months before bottling. I think I'll try sitting on it an extra year or two the next time I get some.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 08:33:01 am »
The only two commercially  made Christmas beers I truly enjoy and will go out of my way to stock up on are Celebration and Samichlaus.  There are  a  few others I find "pretty good", but these two I've mentioned are the only ones I find to be as satisfying as a good homebrewed one.

Regarding Samichlaus, one year I found  a bottle I had unintentionally tucked away...it was in a corner of a basement cupboard for more than 7 years (and possibly as much as 10).   It was in remarkable shape and smooth as  silk.  I don't think I would intentionally buy Samiclaus to cellar it  since I enjoy it quite a bit in its original bottling year, but it was interesting to discover how well a filtered strong beer can hold up after so many years.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 08:47:11 am »
I used to look forward to the release of Jubelale every year.  The past couple years it just hasn't done anything for me. Searching for a new holiday favorite, enjoying the research.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 10:38:10 am »
I thought this year's Jubelale was really pretty good.  More hop forward than the last few years without losing the wonderful toasty malt character.

I admit that I WAY overimbibed the last couple days.  Thank goodness I have today off to recover!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 10:57:10 am »
I usually pick up a mixed sixer of assorted varieties depending on the mood I'm in at the time. This year I picked up a Stone Sublimely SR, SN Celebration, The Bruery Saison de Lente, North Coast Old Stock Ale, Smuttynose Robust Porter and a Green Flash Hop Head Red.

Variety is the spice of life!

Happy Holidays!  8)
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 10:58:51 am »
I admit that I WAY overimbibed the last couple days.  Thank goodness I have today off to recover!

We'll let you off the hook this time Denny.  ;)  :)
Ron Price

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 11:40:42 am »

We'll let you off the hook this time Denny.  ;)  :)

I appreciate that, Ron!  ;)  I'm finding that it doesn't take nearly as much as it used to for me to wind up like this.  I think that yesterday I have maybe 4-5 beers over the course of 14 hours.  Of course, that included Delerium Noel and Duvel, but still....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2012, 12:20:22 pm »
The only two commercially  made Christmas beers I truly enjoy and will go out of my way to stock up on are Celebration and Samichlaus.  There are  a  few others I find "pretty good", but these two I've mentioned are the only ones I find to be as satisfying as a good homebrewed one.

Regarding Samichlaus, one year I found  a bottle I had unintentionally tucked away...it was in a corner of a basement cupboard for more than 7 years (and possibly as much as 10).   It was in remarkable shape and smooth as  silk.  I don't think I would intentionally buy Samiclaus to cellar it  since I enjoy it quite a bit in its original bottling year, but it was interesting to discover how well a filtered strong beer can hold up after so many years.

I've got Celebration from the late '90s and Sammy from 2000 +.

It's a lot of fun doing a vertical tasting seeing how the recipe has changed, and when the accountants got ahold of it.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2012, 12:43:22 pm »
why would you want to cellar a fresh hopped IPA? that makes no sense to me. Celebration is one of my favorite beers- to be drunk each season during that season. would you drink a 10+ year old version of your own fresh hopped IPA?
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2012, 01:12:53 pm »
why would you want to cellar a fresh hopped IPA? that makes no sense to me. Celebration is one of my favorite beers- to be drunk each season during that season. would you drink a 10+ year old version of your own fresh hopped IPA?

Celebration just recently is fresh hopped.  Older versions were not.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2012, 08:59:48 pm »
I look forward to Sierra Nevada's Celebration every Christmas. I not only stock up on theirs, but try to brew a couple batches of a "clone" of it.

Man I love Celebration.

Another than I don't know if it's a Christmas beer but is available after October is Lagunitas Brown Shugga. Heaven in a bottle...
Intra cervisiam est deus.