Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How crazy is this?  (Read 2190 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
How crazy is this?
« on: January 07, 2013, 08:49:16 am »
Have you ever seen those photo frames that display on electronic image?  They are almost like a small video screen, where one can change the picture at will.  I've even seen some of the newer ones where you can change the picture remotely. 

You could set one up at Grandma's house in Pittsburg, and change the picture displayed from Seattle.

That got me thinking. 

A network of sorts of brewpubs could take pictures of the chalkboard tap list, and upload the image on a real time basis.  Then, on the wall in each brewpub would be a few of these framed screens to show what's on tap at other brewpubs around town.  You could be having a beer at my brewery, but know the guy down the street just tapped his famous IPA. 

(or having a beer at that brewery, and know I just tapped my Amber.)

I think it would show the beer drinking public, that all us brewers are friends, and want to help each other.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Re: How crazy is this?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 08:07:34 pm »
Would not you just drive the customers away from your tap room to someone else tap room?
We might be all friends but I still need to sell my beer.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 09:27:57 pm »
It's already being down but in a much larger scale. http://sandiego.taphunter.com/beer/  You can even search for what particular beer you are looking for on tap.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 08:37:15 am »
It's already being down but in a much larger scale. http://sandiego.taphunter.com/beer/  You can even search for what particular beer you are looking for on tap.

I have taphunter on my iPhone.  So far it doesn't really work that good.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 08:42:32 am »
Would not you just drive the customers away from your tap room to someone else tap room?
We might be all friends but I still need to sell my beer.

Yea, that's kind of the rub, huh?  But maybe for every person that decides to leave my place for theirs, there's one at there place that will come to me.  Who knows.  DFH has an iPhone app that shows their chalkbaords, but none others. 

I just think for our small town, we are more powerful together.  And really, who ever has the best beer, will prosper.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 07:18:37 pm »
You know your market.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 06:51:37 am »
Tap Hunter only works if bars/breweries in the city are willing to use it and update it.

I've always wondered about developing a software to replace the ol' chalkboard/paper tap list. Both are cumbersome.

Would it be worthwhile to have an app. on your POS that would allow you to change your tap list, then display that list via computer screen / tv screen - possibly even give the ability for customers to view it remotely?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 08:08:24 am »
Tap Hunter only works if bars/breweries in the city are willing to use it and update it.

I've always wondered about developing a software to replace the ol' chalkboard/paper tap list. Both are cumbersome.

Would it be worthwhile to have an app. on your POS that would allow you to change your tap list, then display that list via computer screen / tv screen - possibly even give the ability for customers to view it remotely?

What you are talking about is out there at the big beer joints.  I was at "Baily's Tap House" in Portland over the new year weekend, and their "chalkboard" is basically a large screen display.  Connected to the POS system.  It even telly you how much beer is left in each keg.  Obviously each pint or growler is in the POS.  But even when they just pour a 2oz taster, they recorded it. 

If you belong to the BA, and get New Brewer magazine, there's ads for them.  But obviously way to expensive for my operation.  (I can't even afford coasters, LOL)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 10:42:52 am »
Malt and Vine in Redmond has something like that running on two vertically mounted TV's behind the bar.  A friend of the owner's wrote the software for him.
Tom Schmidlin