General Category > All Grain Brewing

First All Grain Batch

(1/2) > >>

bendbrew:
Well-I finally have all of my all grain equipment and ready to do my first all grain batch.  I am going to do Denny's Rye IPA but have a quick question. If I decide to do a ten gallon batch would I need to double everything?  I am using the recipe posted on this site.  Here it is for your review:  (Thanks)

DC'S RYE IPA - ALL-GRAIN RECIPE

Recipe by Denny Conn
O.G.: 1.073
F.G.: 1.013
IBU: 68
11 lbs. Pale Malt (2-row)
3 lbs. Rye Malt
1.25 lbs. Crystal 60L
0.5 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt
0.5 lbs. Wheat Malt
1.0 oz. Mt. Hood, 4.9% Alpha Acid, First Wort Hop
1.0 oz. Columbus, 17.8% Alpha Acid, 60 min.
0.5 oz. Mt. Hood, 4.9% Alpha Acid, 30 min.
1.5 oz. Mt. Hood, 4.9% Alpha Acid, 0 min.
1.0 oz. Columbus, 17.8% Alpha Acid, Dry Hop
1.0 oz. Columbus, 17.8% Alpha Acid, Dry Hop in keg (optional)
Wyeast 2450PC Denny's Favorite 50, Wyeast 1272 American Ale Yeast II, or Wyeast 1056 American Ale (in order of preference)
1 tsp. Gypsum (add to the boil, not the mash)
1 tsp. Irish Moss

bluesman:
Great choice. Just double everything for a 10 gallon batch.

hokerer:

--- Quote from: bluesman on February 25, 2010, 06:28:29 PM ---Great choice. Just double everything for a 10 gallon batch.

--- End quote ---

Except the times, of course  ;D

euge:
I'm excited for ya. Your first batch will go well. Take your time. Figure to start out with more water than you will think you need.

For that grain bill to end up with 10 gallons of chilled wort you'll need to start with at least 16 gallons if not more. You'll lose some water everywhere along the way. Evaporation. The grain. The hops. The Boil. ;)

How long will your boil be?

dean:
When you're gathering your runoff from the mashtun... do it slow, or there is a good chance it will get stuck.  Just don't try to hurry the runoff and you should be okay.   :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version