Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sign my petition: Remove the 12% ABV cap on beer in Ohio  (Read 5666 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Sign my petition: Remove the 12% ABV cap on beer in Ohio
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 08:50:36 am »
I think the petition is fine to show support, but it is just a piece of the answer. Your legislators won't care if 200 million people signed it if none are from Ohio. I'm not sure if change.org gives you breakdowns by state, but that would help.

It would also be a good idea to contact the AHA governental affairs people.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 03:45:50 pm »
Should. But, not necessary. There have been people signing from California, Massachusetts, Colorado, etc.

Strength in numbers!!

I'd advise you to limit it to only OH residents.  Based on my experience getting the laws changed here, OH legislators don't care what people in other states might think.
Not necessarily-I've written letters to the governors of Alabama and Mississippi stating my opinion as a potential tourist.  Why go to the beach in Alabama and drink weak beer when I can go a few miles east to Florida and drink whatever I want on essentially the same beach.  If you frame it in terms of beer tourism (and money) governors listen.  I know it wasn't my letters that changed Alabama's laws but I did at least get responses from the governor and the director of tourism.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline topher.bartos

• Cellarman
  • Sometimes Messy, Mostly Successful, Always Fun!
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 11:26:45 am »
Here is the status on my petition:

1. One of Ohio's representatives will be re-introducing a bill to raise our state's cap from 12% ABV to 21% ABV.
http://www.ohio.com/blogs/the-beer-blog/the-beer-blog-1.273124/ohio-lawmaker-plans-to-seek-higher-abv-1.366994?comments=n

2. I've receive correspondence from a state Senator who is talking with the "Department of Commerce Division of Liquor Control" on my behalf to into this issue.

3. Here is a blog about the issue and up-to-date status of the bill. http://ohiobeerlaw.wordpress.com/

It's good news and a win for craft beer lovers in an out of Ohio.

-- Chris
In the works: Nothing

Primary #1: Nothing

Primary #2: Nothing

Keg: Cascade & Mosaic Session IPA

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 01:39:25 pm »
Here is the status on my petition:

1. One of Ohio's representatives will be re-introducing a bill to raise our state's cap from 12% ABV to 21% ABV.
http://www.ohio.com/blogs/the-beer-blog/the-beer-blog-1.273124/ohio-lawmaker-plans-to-seek-higher-abv-1.366994?comments=n

2. I've receive correspondence from a state Senator who is talking with the "Department of Commerce Division of Liquor Control" on my behalf to into this issue.

3. Here is a blog about the issue and up-to-date status of the bill. http://ohiobeerlaw.wordpress.com/

It's good news and a win for craft beer lovers in an out of Ohio.

-- Chris
Nice!!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 02:07:59 pm »
done..and I'm in Ohio.
Dan Chisholm