General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

denny's favorite 50 in a maris otter and amarillo/simcoe beer?

<< < (2/8) > >>

deepsouth:
thanks.  let me see if i can work that in somehow!

tschmidlin:

--- Quote from: deepsouth on December 28, 2012, 12:33:41 PM ---i have some denny's fav 50 yeast from 03/12 that i need to use.  i plan on making a small starter if this particular yeast will work with a beer like that.

--- End quote ---
What form is the yeast from 3/12?  Is it an un-smacked smack pack?  Or is this a leftover slurry?  I would plan on a multi-stage starter in either case.  The first stage to check for viability and grow some yeast, the second stage to grow more yeast.  Viability will be pretty low after that long, but there should be plenty if it was stored well.

davidgzach:

--- Quote from: tschmidlin on December 28, 2012, 10:12:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: deepsouth on December 28, 2012, 12:33:41 PM ---i have some denny's fav 50 yeast from 03/12 that i need to use.  i plan on making a small starter if this particular yeast will work with a beer like that.

--- End quote ---
What form is the yeast from 3/12?  Is it an un-smacked smack pack?  Or is this a leftover slurry?  I would plan on a multi-stage starter in either case.  The first stage to check for viability and grow some yeast, the second stage to grow more yeast.  Viability will be pretty low after that long, but there should be plenty if it was stored well.

--- End quote ---

+1.  And if it's slurry and does not smell particularly good, I would toss it and use something else.  You'll know when you take a whiff.....

denny:

--- Quote from: davidgzach on December 29, 2012, 08:03:16 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

+1.  And if it's slurry and does not smell particularly good, I would toss it and use something else.  You'll know when you take a whiff.....

--- End quote ---

No kidding...I checked on some 3 month old slurry the other day.  It smelled like vinegar, so it went down the drain.

macbrews:

--- Quote from: davidgzach on December 29, 2012, 08:03:16 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

So...... I have a slurry of California Ale yeast that is about 3 months old.  Its been in my refrigerator in an E-Flask covered with Aluminum foil.  Came from a local brewery and it produced a vigorous fermentation when last used.  There is about 100 cc yeast and it is covered with  400cc beer that separated out.  Would you use it if it smells good (doesn't smell bad)?  Maybe decant it off and throw it in a starter?  How long does yeast like this stay good?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version