Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Base Malt for APA  (Read 5809 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Base Malt for APA
« on: December 28, 2012, 01:43:04 pm »
I was considering using a combo of pilsner and 2-row for an APA.  Looking for something fairly light, OG ~1.045-1.050.  Going to hop it with some cascade, sorachi ace (need to use these already!), and simcoe.  I thought the lighter malt would pair well with the lemon/grapefruit characters in the hops and I hear simcoe can pair well with the sorachi ace.  Overall goal is a crisp, citrusy, session type APA.  Any thoughts?  I figured i'd start with a 50:50 split of 2-row and pils + maybe a little crystal 20 to round it out a bit.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
Re: Base Malt for APA
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 04:48:33 pm »
If you wanna highlight the hops, I'd go with the 2-row.  That's just me though, YMMV.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 10:03:03 pm »
I wouldn't use pils malt either.  The hop combo sounds good though.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 09:23:27 am »
Oh, poo-poo! Don't listen to the nay-sayers. 

While there is little precedent for using a portion of Pils in a Pale Ale, its not to say its not worth trying.  A lot of brewers concentrate on 2-row Pale and maybe a bit of Munich as the base malts, it would be an education to try a portion of Pils.  Pils definitely has a differing flavor, so it might be an interesting combination.  This is more valuable when you brew a similar brew without the Pils and contrast the differences.

Just remember that Pils malt has more SMM and it requires a longer boil time to make sure most of it is scrubbed from the wort. 

Enjoy!
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 10:38:56 am »
I'm with Martin. On a lighter beer like this swapping out the 2-row for Pils has the potential for adding some flavor complexity from the base malt while staying out of the way from the hops. Give it a try and see what you think.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 10:52:20 am »
Nothing wrong with using part or all pils for an APA/AIPA.  Ninkasi here in Eugene does it all the time.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 11:12:38 am »
I have tried pils in apa/ipa, but didn't like it. you should try it - maybe you will like it.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 11:28:37 am »
Russian River- row 2 hill 56- I can't think of an apa I liked more, 70/30 pils to maris otter with some crystal 20. 

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 12:22:56 pm »
I have tried pils in apa/ipa, but didn't like it. you should try it - maybe you will like it.

That's the best answer to many of the questions that pop up in the forum...just try it. The best part of this hobby (other than the reward in the glass  few weeks down the line)  is the experimentation to find exactly what suits your own tastes. 

With regard to some Pils in the pale ale grainbill;   although I've worked hard to standardize certain of my recipes and attain consistency in my favorite beers, I did  few batches of both pale  ale and 'best bitter' this past year with some pils to fill out the grainbill, simply because of  availability, and they all turned out great. 
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 12:35:41 pm »
FWIW, I have a "light" (as opposed to "lite") APA on tap at the moment made with pils malt and light candi syrup.  Turned out quite well.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell