Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 6-row and rice - how much can I use?  (Read 5381 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: 6-row and rice - how much can I use?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 01:28:42 pm »
i made a cap last year that had 18% corn, 9 percent rice. i did use 6 row for about 18% cuz i had some. ibu around 29.  other than some astringency it was not too bad.

Yeah that beer was pretty good. I'd probably tone down the IBU a bit, or maybe used a higher AA% hop. n retrospect, I wonder if some of the astringency/harsh bitterness could have been from the hops. The 6-row flavor was pretty aggressive. I'd probably bump the adjuncts up a bit more next time, if you brew that again.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 01:33:59 pm »
I would keep your IBUs below 15.  Maybe as low as 10.  BMC is light and balanced, no bitterness, very clean (and boring) flavor.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 02:01:55 pm »
i made a cap last year that had 18% corn, 9 percent rice. i did use 6 row for about 18% cuz i had some. ibu around 29.  other than some astringency it was not too bad.

Yeah that beer was pretty good. I'd probably tone down the IBU a bit, or maybe used a higher AA% hop. n retrospect, I wonder if some of the astringency/harsh bitterness could have been from the hops. The 6-row flavor was pretty aggressive. I'd probably bump the adjuncts up a bit more next time, if you brew that again.

i will send you another this summer when i have it ready.  i just looked back at my notes again, and i was planning on no 6-row.  the hops in that beer were a homegrown magnum and sterling at who knows what ratio.  and thanks again nateo.
Don AHA member

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 04:51:07 pm »
A keg of Bud is $289.95 plus deposit.

Barf. Being a homebrewer actually makes financial sense in Canada? Crazy!

One of my favourite beers is Muskoka Cream Ale.  It's $59.95 for 24 - 16 oz cans.  Yes, homebrewing can make good financial sense. 

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 01:55:38 pm »
To me the key flavor of good* light american adjunct lagers is corn.  Bud/bud light with lots of rice just seem to be crap to me, whilst I do happen to like** certain other AALs that have corn as a major ingredient.  Add more corn!

*good being used loosely there  ::)
**like being used even more loosely there  ::)

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 01:37:41 am »
If you want the authentic taste then you might consider crumpling up a bunch of tin foil and add it to the primary and secondary...........haha
The liver is evil and must be punished