General Category > Ingredients

Base Malt for APA

<< < (2/2)

denny:
Nothing wrong with using part or all pils for an APA/AIPA.  Ninkasi here in Eugene does it all the time.

blatz:
I have tried pils in apa/ipa, but didn't like it. you should try it - maybe you will like it.

repo:
Russian River- row 2 hill 56- I can't think of an apa I liked more, 70/30 pils to maris otter with some crystal 20. 

The Professor:

--- Quote from: blatz on December 29, 2012, 11:12:38 AM ---I have tried pils in apa/ipa, but didn't like it. you should try it - maybe you will like it.

--- End quote ---

That's the best answer to many of the questions that pop up in the forum...just try it. The best part of this hobby (other than the reward in the glass  few weeks down the line)  is the experimentation to find exactly what suits your own tastes. 

With regard to some Pils in the pale ale grainbill;   although I've worked hard to standardize certain of my recipes and attain consistency in my favorite beers, I did  few batches of both pale  ale and 'best bitter' this past year with some pils to fill out the grainbill, simply because of  availability, and they all turned out great. 

denny:
FWIW, I have a "light" (as opposed to "lite") APA on tap at the moment made with pils malt and light candi syrup.  Turned out quite well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version