Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Combination of hops to create an "orange" flavor  (Read 17555 times)

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Combination of hops to create an "orange" flavor
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 07:53:04 pm »
Don't forget that there are different varieties of corriander.  The Indian corriander is yellow and smooth skinned.  It does tend to provide citrusy components.  I find them to be more on the lemon side.  But then there is the Mexican or Moroccan corriander that is brown and wrinkle skinned.  It has more of a peppery flavor contribution in my opinion. 

I've found that since we add orange peel to Wits, I prefer the Mexican corriander in my Wit to provide a slightly earthy and spicy contrast to the orange flavor.  I didn't like what the Indian version did for the flavor.  But, I agree that it might add some citrus impact in the beer in question.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 08:33:39 pm »
Ok, we are getting a little off track here ;).  I am aware corriander provides "orange" character.  But, I am trying to achieve this mainly with hops.  Making a fruit beer for a local comp "pineapple/orange" to be specific.  Trying to avoid the spice/corriander.  Hence, the hops question.

Here is what Stan's book says about the corriander experiment (abriged version)...

Sapporo researchers brewed 2 beers:  one with Citra, one only with corriander.  Both are rich in geraniol and linalool.  The finished Citra beer contained; geraniol, linalool, and citronellol.  The same transformation occured with corriander.  The concentraition of citronellol and geraniol were dependant on geraniol concentration.  Taste panels rated both beers as very similar. The research suggests the importance of citronellol and linalool in the hop-derived citrus flavor of beer.  But, since there was little citronellol in raw hops, it's generation was dependant on geraiol yeast metabolism.

So, maybe using some combination of Citra is in order?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 08:39:20 pm by hoser »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Combination of hops to create an "orange" flavor
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 06:51:05 am »
I don't find any orange flavor in citra. Tastes like "imitation" mango to me. But perhaps the right blend might get you what you are looking for. Amarillo,  ... Maybe a touch of centennial and a hair of citra.

I have used ahtunum before and I can remember it having some slight orange character as well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 06:54:41 am by majorvices »

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 07:03:46 am »
Maybe this can be achieved with aroma rather than flavor. Aroma is very influential on taste...
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 08:08:05 am »
You may also want to consider mashing higher to keep some sweetness in the beer. This might help fool the palette into thinking it's tasting orange instead of grapefruit or other bitter citrus.

*Sent from the future using Tapatalk Quantum Edition*

Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Re: Combination of hops to create an "orange" flavor
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 08:26:21 am »
You may also want to consider mashing higher to keep some sweetness in the beer. This might help fool the palette into thinking it's tasting orange instead of grapefruit or other bitter citrus.

*Sent from the future using Tapatalk Quantum Edition*

That's a real good point. Maybe go with some darker crystal malt in the 60-80 range too to leave a hint of caramel.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Wesbrau

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 06:19:59 pm »
Amarillo
Wes

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 06:43:26 pm »
Wait, is there a reason you don't just, you know, use oranges?
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 07:25:47 pm »
Wait, is there a reason you don't just, you know, use oranges?

I am planning on brewing an APA next week.  I am trying to come up with a blend of hops to be more "orange/citrus" than pine or grapefuit, passionfruit, etc.  Going to hop burst it late.

Hops that I know give an "orange" type flavor from experience and reading various hop profiles are:

Amarillo
Cascade (probably more grapefuit?)
Summit (orange/tangerine, hoping to avoid the garlic/BO/Onion)
Motueka
Pacific Jade

Tenatively planning on using a 2:1:1 ratio of Amarillo:Cascade:Summit, but could possibly substitute one of the NZ varieties. 

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,
Brian

EDIT:  I will also be adding some fresh orange zest at 5min before flameout.  Probably 2-3 oranges?

I am. I would just like to compliment it with the hops.....

Besides, where is the challenge in just using oranges/zest with all the wonderful hop flavors available to us as brewers today?  I mean, we can use Belma hops to create a strawberry-flavored beer.

http://www.bear-flavored.com/2012/12/recipe-and-tasting-notes-belma-single.html

So, in theory we should be able to do the same with creating an orange flavor, no? Grapefruit isn't that far from oranges.  In theory, I would like to create a "fruit" beer without adding "fruit" if I don't have too.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 01:29:30 pm »
Styrian Goldings have some orange aroma without some of the less desirable notes of Summit although it isn't as much in your face with the orange.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 01:49:50 pm »
Coriander is what gives Wit much of its orange character. I'vE heard to be wary of the store bought stuff though and find plump indian varieties.
I always thought coriander is more lemony than orangy.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958